Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What kind of Salt, and how much will I need?

1. Back To Top    #1

What kind of Salt, and how much will I need?

My SWG should be here this week sometime, but today I'm going to be close to a Home Depot and Lowes...and while I'm close I would like to pick up the salt I'll need to get started. Any ideas what I need and how much?

My pool is an AG 20' Round by 48" deep......

Don't have the aforementioned stores in my town, so by the time I get the SWG with the instructions, I won't be able to buy the salt.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What kind of Salt, and how much will I need?

found this on another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    The best thing to use to raise the salt level is water softener salt. Look for salt that is 99.4% pure or better and doesn't have any rust inhibitor or other additives. The best choices include Diamond Crystal® Solar Salt Extra Coarse Crystals in blue bags, Morton® White Crystal® Water Softener Salt in blue bags, or Diamond Crystal® Sun Gems® Crystals Water Softener Salt in yellow bags.

Water softener salt pellets will also work, even though they dissolve more slowly they are still fine. Pool salt is also fine to use, but tends to be much more expensive. Potassium chloride will also work, but you need 17% more of it and it is more expensive. Avoid table salt, rock salt, and deicing salt.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Unfortunately, you'll need to know what the recommended salt level is for your SWCG before you can figure out how much salt you'll need. Which SWCG are you getting? You may be able to find the recommended level online. Once you know the recommended level, you can use Jason's pool calculator to figure out how much you'll need.
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by MikeInTN
    Unfortunately, you'll need to know what the recommended salt level is for your SWCG before you can figure out how much salt you'll need. Which SWCG are you getting? You may be able to find the recommended level online. Once you know the recommended level, you can use Jason's pool calculator to figure out how much you'll need.
    It's the one WalMart sells, the Intex SWG.

5. Back To Top    #5

You will need to know the size of your pool (gallons) along with the recommended salt level for your SWG to use Jason's Pool Calculator.

As a reminder, please TEST your pool water for salt level BEFORE you add salt.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Well, you're in luck - that's the same one I have. 20 foot round, say a water level of 44 inches or so will give you a water volume of around 8600 gallons. Ideal salt level for the intex is 3000 ppm, so I get 215lb of salt needed. Of course, this is assuming fresh water with no existing salt.

If you're starting from scratch, I'd get 6 bags (they come in 40 pound bags) and add 5 of them. Let it dissolve, and check your salt level. It's always easy to add more salt if needed, but the only way to lower your salt level is to replace water.
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by zea3
    found this on another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    The best thing to use to raise the salt level is water softener salt. Look for salt that is 99.4% pure or better and doesn't have any rust inhibitor or other additives. The best choices include Diamond Crystal® Solar Salt Extra Coarse Crystals in blue bags, Morton® White Crystal® Water Softener Salt in blue bags, or Diamond Crystal® Sun Gems® Crystals Water Softener Salt in yellow bags.

Water softener salt pellets will also work, even though they dissolve more slowly they are still fine. Pool salt is also fine to use, but tends to be much more expensive. Potassium chloride will also work, but you need 17% more of it and it is more expensive. Avoid table salt, rock salt, and deicing salt.
    I just stumbled across this. Almost a 50% savings using this salt as opposed to that sold as pool sale locally.

Thanks!!
    South Florida. 20,000 gallons; 16x35 rectangular gunite; Pentair Intelliflo VF Variable Speed Pump; Hayward cartridge; Aqua Rite SWG. Dolphin Oasis Z5 Robotic Pool Cleaner; Kopec 540sc Electric Heat pump pool heater; Pool built in Spring 2004.