Changing sand in Triton Tagelus TA60 sand filter

louzai

Sep 4, 2009
I have a Triton Tagelus TA60 sand filter which was probably installed around 1998 or 1999. My first season with the pool was summer of 2000 and I have not changed the sand since the filter seemed to be doing its job until this year. Does anyone have any experience changing the sand on one of these filters? Do I have to remove the multiport valve in order to remove the sand? There does not appear to be a clamp, so I'm assuming it is threaded with the buttress type thread since it was manufactured after 1991. Also is there a special tool required to remove the valve or do you just grab the body of the valve and turn it to get it off?

Welcome to TFP!

Butterfly was kind to give you the manual for the filter :) , but let me save you a lot of reading :p

What you want to do is remove the dome from the top of the filter to access the sand. Take the drain cap off and let the filter lose it's water. Now you can use either a shop-vac (easier and quicker) or a scoop to remove the sand and pea gravel (with a fiberglass filter - you definitely want to have a long sleeved shirt on!

You don't want to 'mess' with the multi (unless it's a topmount, in which case - it's gotta be taken off).

Please be sure to inspect the laterals for cracks or breaks once they are exposed.

If you find yourself needing help or have a question while you're doing this - PLEASE ask here before adding the new pea gravel and sand!

I'm new to the forum, so I hope I am responding to this post correctly (I clicked on the quote link). Anyway, Ted thanks for the response, but my multiport does happen to be top mounted and there's no clamp attaching it to the filter. I'm assuming it's threaded and I just need to twist it off, right?

Butterfly was kind to give you the manual for the filter :) , but let me save you a lot of reading :p

What you want to do is remove the dome from the top of the filter to access the sand. Take the drain cap off and let the filter lose it's water. Now you can use either a shop-vac (easier and quicker) or a scoop to remove the sand and pea gravel (with a fiberglass filter - you definitely want to have a long sleeved shirt on!

You don't want to 'mess' with the multi (unless it's a topmount, in which case - it's gotta be taken off).

Please be sure to inspect the laterals for cracks or breaks once they are exposed.

If you find yourself needing help or have a question while you're doing this - PLEASE ask here before adding the new pea gravel and sand![/quote]

louzai said:
I'm new to the forum, so I hope I am responding to this post correctly (I clicked on the quote link). Anyway, Ted thanks for the response, but my multiport does happen to be top mounted and there's no clamp attaching it to the filter. I'm assuming it's threaded and I just need to twist it off, right

Your multi is topmount and therefore you'll need to be able to disconnect the pipes running in and out of it (if your installer had a clue and prepared you for this, its as simple as disconnecting a few unions :goodjob: ) If not :evil: , you'll need to prepare yourself to do some simple plumbing :)

Any chance of you posting a pic of your set up with a close up of the multi? That would make any advice I can give much more specific to your pool :wink:

If you can't, that's fine but I'll end up saying a lot of "if it's this... then do that" again and again :p

However it works out, I certainly can help you with this project :!:

Ted,

Thanks for getting back. I'll try to get some pics but it may not be till the w/e. It's back to work tomorrow and when I get home I just want to vegetate. Unfortunately the installer hard plumbed all the fittings, so I guess I'll have to cut the PVC and install some unions for next time. I've been doing quite a bit of research and I'm pretty sure my m/p is a buttress threaded model manufactured after 12/1/91. I just have been unable to find any info that shows you how to remove the threaded m/p from the filter, only the newer clamp on design. I did come across a replacement m/p for around $100. Is it easier to just replace the whole valve then to try to rebuild one and replace whatever o-rings, gaskets and springs that are worn? I know it's probably cheaper to rebuild, but is it worth all the hassle? I don't mind spending the $100 if rebuilding it is a real pain, especially cleaning out the old gasket and glueing in the new one.

I think you'll be fine with your existing mp :) You will 'need' to add unions when you do this (of course, it's possible to do it without the unions, but I REALLY think that that would be a B-A-D idea :wink: ).

If you can give us a couple of pics this weekend, we'll be able to help you plan what you need to do and what you'll want to pick up to do this job correctly :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.