My Nightmare

May 20, 2008
Waldorf, MD
So I opened the pool a couple weeks ago.
it's 15 years old with the original equipment.

The pump finally went bad, and I ordered and installed a replacement. $370
got the pump hooked up and the entire pack of DE that I just put in the skimmer immediately blew into the pool from the jets.
I have about 20 patches in my de grids and the backwash/filter valve has a torn gasket. new filter $600.

So now it rained 4 inches and my pool water level dropped 2 inches. I have a leak.
I went to turn my pool lights on and it tripped the GFI breaker. I have a pool light issue.

This is going to kill me.

so I am looking at my skimmer and at the bottom of my skimmer, there is a 2nd hole that has a pvc screw off cap.

it looks like they ran a 2nd skimmer line. Is that possible? They ran a 2nd line in case the 1st goes bad? or is that something else?

so I am looking at my skimmer and at the bottom of my skimmer, there is a 2nd hole that has a pvc screw off cap.

it looks like they ran a 2nd skimmer line. Is that possible? They ran a 2nd line in case the 1st goes bad? or is that something else?

Some skimmers (including mine) have a 2nd port on the skimmer to tie into the main drain. If that system is in use, there is usually another piece in the skimmer to switch between the two holes. My skimmer has the hole but it was never used and is permanently blocked off. Can you confirm if the water is draining out of this hole? Do you have a main drain that might be connected to this port?

Some skimmers (including mine) have a 2nd port on the skimmer to tie into the main drain. If that system is in use, there is usually another piece in the skimmer to switch between the two holes. My skimmer has the hole but it was never used and is permanently blocked off. Can you confirm if the water is draining out of this hole? Do you have a main drain that might be connected to this port?

I havent opened it up yet. I was a little scared to let water go down it. I have two main drains, so it seems like the skimmer wouldnt be connected to the main drains. I assume that is a safety feature?

So I am working on the leak. I turned my pump off all night. I turned my plumbing line main drain off. So the only thing on is the skimmers. When I turned my pump on in the morning, my pump received a big blast of air into the pump basket. The pump cleared the air and it did this three more times. I moved the plumbing line to shut off the skimmer and the air blasts stopped.

Is this evidence enough that I have a leak in the skimmer line? or could this be something else?

The two main drains are connected via a T for safety. One line then runs to your skimmer and uses water pressure to pull water from the main drain to your skimmer.

Know you are having problems but a new pool can cost 30-150k plus. So if you can get yours tuned up and working your still ahead.

All pools have maintenance costs and problems.

The 2nd hole in my skimmer has a cap on it. when I unscrewed it I can see what looks like a flexible hose running somewhere. It looks the same as the skimmer hole that runs to the pump.
If it is capped it serves no purpose. right? except maybe a back-up?

Know you are having problems but a new pool can cost 30-150k plus. So if you can get yours tuned up and working your still ahead.

All pools have maintenance costs and problems.

I feel lucky with the pool. I've been able to fix everything that has gone bad with the pool. I installed my own pump and motor. Im about to order and install a new filter. I feel like my chemical costs (with this site} are very low below $200 a season.

And if my skimmer is leaking, I have a skimmer about 10 feet away from my pump and only about 5 feet of that is under concrete. I feel like I could do that job partly myself.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
2 skimmers

- - - Updated - - -

Alright, I feel like I won the lottery. My pump and filter is below the water level of my pool. I have always had a leaky backwash pipe. There is a Jandy valve on the backwash pipe. Apparently, it was left open for 5 days and there was a consistent flow of water from the pool out of the backwash pipe. It flows when the pump is off or the filter is on.

*****I dont have a leak*******

I closed the valve filled and marked the pool and I will know tomorrow for sure.

Only spending $650 for a new filter feels like a gift now.

I still have the light issue to work through.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.