got my test kit - adjusting sequence question

PoolCleanerMom

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 26, 2009
SF Bay Area (Lamorinda), CA
Just received my K-2006 and tested it out. The past week my water has been looking pretty okay but I've also been 'guesstimating' bleach additions every couple days and brushing the sides down (generating puffs of yellowish-brown dust that I assume are those nefarious mustard algae) so the water is still mostly clear and blue.

The results:
FC 0.2 PPM
CC 0.6PPM
pH 7.0
TA 140
Calcium Hardness 240
CYA 100+?? (I guess this is why I've had to keep adding chlorine... yes I was using tablets before I joined the forum)

I just added about 3 lb. soda ash to adjust the pH - can I add the chlorine simultaneously or do I need to allow time for the soda ash to mix in first?

Hi PCMom and welcome :wave:

Allow 30 mins. for the chems to mix before adding the chlorine.

Also, it would be much better if you used borax to raise your pH as it has little effect on your TA.

Your CYA is too high, but I think you know that. I suggest a series of drains/refills to get it down to at least 70.

Thanks Butterfly, it's been almost 2 hours since I added the soda ash. thanx for the borax tip too.

yeah, the drain/refill is a bummer since we're on water rationing here... I'll probably get out the submersible pump so we can at least use the draining water on the garden (assuming that level of CYA isn't a problem for shrubs and lawns)

It's not the draining that's a problem; it's the refilling. :-D

Regarding the CYA test, you can dilute your sample 50/50 with tap water, then double the reading. This will tell you whether >100 means 120 or 180.
--paulr

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.