new cell and temp sensor

I would start with the setting that was on the unit before you replaced the cell and sensor and go from there. If i am misunderstanding you, and this is a brand new unit, I set them to 50% at first and babysit the unit till you find a level that best keeps your water within the Cl range you are shooting for.

minivolks said:
I have been running the filter 8 hours a day. Is that good or can I run it less?
That depends on a number of factors including surface area of your pool (sq ft), filter type and pump size, distance between pump and pool and so forth. These things basically just tell you how long you need to operate the pump to get 'one turnover' or 10-12K gallons of water through the system in a 24 hour day. More turnovers don't hurt (except, perhaps, your electric bill.)

Besides turnover, you'll want to monitor your Chlorine and pH (and Alk, CH and CYA less frequently) and water appearance. If you consistently have pristine water, the pH is rock steady but you have excessive chlorine, either dial back the SWG to a lower percentage or reduce pump operation time. Conversely, additional filtering time will result in increased chlorine availability and production, and improved water quality.

The pool is shaped like a figure 8. shallow end is 3 feet and deep end is 6. Pump is 20 feet away. I will experiment as you say. I think I can get away with six hours a day. Should I run it in the afternoon, morning, night? I live in sunny central florida.

It is a Hayward system with a spiral shaped filter system. Solar heat with a Hayward gas heater. There is a hot tub that spills into the pool when the pump is on. It is an elaborate system with multiple valves operating flow and the cleaner. I bought the house last January.

Now that the new temp sensor and cell have been in operation since this past Wednesday I have noticed the percentage of chlorinating has decreased from 30% to 13% as of this morning. The pool pilot turns the cell on and off. Is the turning on and off normal? I have the water checked weekly at my local pool store. The balance is perfect. The water is crystal clear.

Also, The pressure gauge in top of the filter reads from 18 to 25. Even with the filter cleaned it reads the same.

minivolks said:
The pool is shaped like a figure 8. shallow end is 3 feet and deep end is 6. Pump is 20 feet away. I will experiment as you say. I think I can get away with six hours a day. Should I run it in the afternoon, morning, night? I live in sunny central florida.

I would run the pump when the sun is optimal for solar. Providing you are still running the solar.

minivolks said:
Here is a pic of the pool

You look like your in Florida.
Anyway that is a really cool looking pool design. :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

This time a year I start reducing my running time and adjust by SWG tdown enough to maintain my FC around 3
It takes a little testing but I'm sure you can slowly figure it out.

Iggy in the cool part of Arizona. :party:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.