Should I Add More Salt Now, or Wait for Spring?

mickey4paws

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 10, 2009
S.E. MI
I have an Aquarite SWG. I have the Aquachek salt strips but the readings were always high, and the bar at the top never darkened. So I contacted Aquachek and they sent me a replacement bottle. Today I first tested with the bad batch of test strips and then I tested again with the new batch of test strips.

Panel reads 3000
Bad test strips reads 3660
New test strips reads 2900

So I'm totally discounting the bad batch of test strips and so my level is 2900 to 3000. Should I add more salt now, or just wait until the spring. We will be closing our pool the week of Sept. 20th and will bringing the water level down below the returns.

I am getting plenty of chlorine from the SWG and am having no problems at the level it is now.

HI Mickey :wave:

Mike is dead right :goodjob: The season is, unfortunately coming to an end :rant: , and the unit will produce just fine at ~ 3000

It would be a waste of money to add more so close to draining water for winterizing.

Please enjoy the pool for as long as you can this season :cheers:

Thanks so much, guys. The panel read 2800 last night and now this morning 3000. Weird! I guess since it reads salt by TDS maybe that's why such fluctations? I will count on the strip reading of 2900. Anyway, I will wait till next spring to add more salt. You all who live in year round warm climates are so lucky. This summer went by way too fast!

I really appreciate your help :)

Actually, it determines the salt level by measuring the conductivity of the water. I'm pretty sure that's temperature dependent, so it will fluctuate some during the day.

Always glad to help where and when I can!

MikeInTN said:
Actually, it determines the salt level by measuring the conductivity of the water. I'm pretty sure that's temperature dependent, so it will fluctuate some during the day.

Always glad to help where and when I can!

Ahh ha, now that makes sense and would definitely explain the fluctuations, especially since I turned the heater on in the afternoon. Thanks again, Mike :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.