Pump for Pool/Spa Combo

Sep 4, 2009
Cocoa, Florida
I am in the process of building a 13,700 gallon pool with an attached 8'6" x 6'8" spa with 12 jets. I have chosen the Pentair intelliflo SRVS pump, Pentair Clean and Clear plus filter, Easy touch 8 feature control system kit with inline salt chlorinator and Easy Touch wireless remote. I plan on using the pump in a low speed for turnover of water in recirculation mode from 10am to 6pm and a higher speed when in SPA mode to get maximum use out of the 12 jets. I will also be bypassing the filter in spa mode. Does this sound like a pretty good setup for my situation? Any suggestions? Being new to this I would appreciate any and all help ... Thanks, Joe

joeg2246 said:
Pentair intelliflo SRVS pump, Pentair Clean and Clear plus filter, Easy touch 8 feature control system kit with inline salt chlorinator...
I will also be bypassing the filter in spa mode. Does this sound like a pretty good setup for my situation?
Best time of the year to start a pool... welcome to TFP!

I built a similarly sized and automated pool/spa two years ago (using Hayward/Goldline instead of Pentair) and have no regrets. The research I did before the dig helped me to be able to ask some of the right questions and suggest specifications to the builder. For example, I made sure that all of the PVC pipes used in suction and return 'home runs' were at least 2" diameter. This has become standard everywhere now I think. The builder had specified a single speed 2 hp main pump that research told me was oversized for the job and not as quiet as Tri-Star/Northstar; this was changed. Configuration included 'extra-large' 325 sqft cartridge filter (based on pool surface area of approx 365 sq ft) that would have been more than adequate; but installing an oversized filter is 'low-hanging fruit' in terms of pool maintenance, so I paid $50 more for a 425 sq ft filter. (I clean it once a year!) Since completion, I've reduced pump operation time from 10-12 hours down to 8 hrs, then 6, then 4, and finally this summer to 3 hours. (No idea how I get away with this, but it seems to work.) Your variable-speed? pump will obviate the search for ever-lower run times; I've heard they're quite economical to run.

I didn't know that you could configure suction and return lines on a spa so as to bypass the filter. Not sure if this is advisable, either. When the equipment is set to spa-mode, surely you want to be filtering and sanitizing (and possibly heating) that water at the same time. My system has a 'blower' motor (1.5 hp pump) that is separately plumbed to operate the jets.

You might want to check what kind of flow rate those 12 jets are going to require. Recommended flow rate for a standard jet is around 15 GPM and with 12, you would need a total of 180 GPM. That is probably more than an Intelliflo can do even with 3" pipe. Some jets require even more.

The Intelliflo pump is capable of producing 3HP. I questioned this myself and my plumber said there will be no problem. I hope not because I really wanted the spa to have some theraputic abilities. Do you think I should back down to 10 jets?

Actually the motor is closer to a 4 BHP but take a look at the head curve. The flow rate does not exceed 145 GPM on the curve and that is with very low head loss (~50ft). Even if you are lucky enough to get that flow rate, which I doubt, the flow rate per jet is only 12 GPM. Your jets will likely be on the weaker side.

Each jet style has a recommended flow rate so you really need to figure out how much flow rate is going to be required to get the effect you are looking for out of the jets. Spa jets can require up to 25 GPM so it really makes a difference as to the type of jet used. Also, what size pipe does the PB plan to use and how many runs?

Like I said before, the Intelliflo will not produce 180 GPM under any conditions. It is just not possible. With 12 jets, you might be better off with two 1.5 HP pumps on separate loops each running 6 jets.

mas985 said:
Like I said before, the Intelliflo will not produce 180 GPM under any conditions. It is just not possible. With 12 jets, you might be better off with two 1.5 HP pumps on separate loops each running 6 jets.
Yes, I was wondering why the builder or designer decided to put everything including spa jets on the main pump. He/she may have wanted to pocket a bit more of the profit (several hundred dollars) that would have paid for a dedicated spa pump, or eliminated it in order to come in under bid... or as an architectual modernist and admirer of Frank Gehry, wanted to reduce the visual clutter that comes from too many pumps and valves on the equipment pad.

I think we can eliminate the last idea.

Whatever the reason, Mark has encapsulated the issue. Joe, I think you have an answer to your question about the configuration. My builder was taken aback when I questioned him about head-feet and flow rate (among a thousand other items.) He said most of his customers don't care about such things and that I was "one in a million." Well, now I know there are at least two of us. Thanks! :-D

joeg2246 said:
I will also be bypassing the filter in spa mode.

Not sure why you would want to do that, especially since the spa will be much hotter than the pool and more "stuff" that needs to be filtered will be in that small body. I would strongly suggest keeping the circ pump with the filter and going with a dedicated jet pump. You could run a couple jets (if you stay at 12) on the circ pump and the remainder on the jet pump. That way your water would filter and your jets could work efficiently.

And, like others have said, big pipe is your friend! Water flows better through larger diameter plumbing, both coming and going. My advice would be to stay with the same size (2, 2 1/2, 3) as you come to the pump and return back to the pool/spa. Don't come in with one size and go out with another! Your pool will thank you for it!

Bruce

I certainly appreciate the advise here. I believe I am now going to be using a second pump for the spa only. This was my first choice and I was talked out of it, but, now after seeing your comments I think 2 pumps is the only way to go. Thanks, Joe

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.