My pool is about 4 years old. I have only tested for PH and Chlorine using the OTO type test. I have always had a hard time keeping PH where it should be.
My pool is about 25k gallons and has a SWCG. I got a better test kit and my current numbers are as follows:
My PH is low because I am working on bringing the TA down. I have brought it down to 7.0 and am now using aeration to bring the PH back up.
My biggest concern is the FC. It was at 0 with the TC at .5. I ran my pool over night with the SWG at 95% and the FC came up to .5 with the TC at 1. At noon today I added 2 quarts of Chlorine and then checked my numbers at 5:00pm. As you can see above my FC is still only 1 but the TC came up to 5. That means my CC is around 4.
So I think this means I need to shock the pool. I read the “how to shock” topic but still have a few questions.
I think I need to bring the FC up to 24. The pool calculator says to add 5 gallons of Chlorine. Is that all there is to it? My test kit only goes up to 5ppm so I won’t be able to tell if I made it to 24. Also, how long after I shock will it be before the pool is safe to swim in again?
Any advice on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.