Lightning radar

numberonenole

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 18, 2009
Woods of North Florida
Can anyone please direct me to a link for a weather site that provides information that is up to date on lightning strikes? I somehow ran across one on weather.com but haven't been able to get to it again, but it was about an hour behind anyway so that is not good enough. We have these sudden storms that come up in the afternoon but sometimes it is just a dark looking cloud, and I would like to know what is really going on. I don't want us in the pool if there is lightning! Thanks!

There is a local AM station here that I listen to and if there is lightning anywhere I can here the crackle on the radio. Only occasionally am I able to see the lightning at the same time as the static crackle so I know it must bring in lightning static from a very large area. Often I can't even see the shower that is crackling but here in Houston we do get widely scattered thrunderstorms. I suspect that it is catching static from anything in the listening area but I cannot be sure. This station is sort of low powered, not sure if that would help you at all to find a similar station in your area.

Thanks for the replies! I've noticed that about AM radio stations but we live too far away to pick up any stations on that band. They sound like that all the time! I always thought it was interesting though.

The links were helpful. The first one in particular. It is still not a live version (it is delayed by almost an hour), but that along with the combination of the one that predicts future lightning strikes will help put me at ease.

Thanks again!

i've had good luck with weatherbug.com...even their live doppler is maybe 5 mins delayed, but I can usually tell how long the party has until we have to run inside :shock:

Thanks for more replies! I can't always hear thunder when the kids are laughing and playing and my ears are full of water! Sometimes it is just hard to tell whether it is a harmless dark cloud or a lightning producer. I've lived in Florida my whole life. There can be blue sky all around and just one little cloud off in the distance and people have been killed by a lightning strike. You just can't count on hearing the thunder rumble. I never really cared or worried about it until I had kids. It's true what the commercial says...having a baby changes everything!

I used Amontilado's link and eventually stumbled onto this site : http://www.lightningstorm.com/explorer.html

I am also going to look into getting the sensors. We go through spells where we have thunderstorms popping up every afternoon so it would be very comforting to have an alarm.

Thanks again!

h2ctpdjl said:
According to our meteorologist, if you can hear thunder, there is the possiblity of being struck by lightening. I use that as a rule; if its thundering, no swimming.

Around Dallas area we have widely scattered thunderstorms too and lots of lightning. One area can get loads of rain. A very few miles away can be totally dry. I have heard/read about people getting hit even if the lighting/thunder is many miles away. Someone please elaborate. It happened a few years ago to some construction workers in north Dallas.

If it is stormy off to one direction, even without hearing any thunder, I pull all humans/animals away from area of pool and trees. "Normal" rain is so rare here (we usually don't get rain, rather storms dumping lots of precip in short periods of time - flash flooding is frequent here) if it is not thundering at all I do odd jobs outside just to enjoy the "normal rain" (not storms). We even get thunder and lightning snow storms, although Northerners would laugh at our "snow storms". :wink:

I grew up in north central Kentucky so I have experience with "real winter". I just wish we would get more snow here and less ice storms and black ice.

geekgranny=alice

dmanb2b said:
i've had good luck with weatherbug.com...even their live doppler is maybe 5 mins delayed, but I can usually tell how long the party has until we have to run inside :shock:

If you use Windows Vista you can add Weatherbug to the sidebar without paying for a subscription. Clicking on the animated icon, on sidebar, takes you to a main Weatherbug site. Otherwise a yearly subscription to Weatherbug only cost around $20 which is a great price for all you get. We can only get down to "regional" for the lightning map but not down to "local" as you can with other maps such as Doppler.

Weather Underground is another great site. http://www.wunderground.com/

geekgranny=alice

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.