Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Shut pump off?

1. Back To Top    #1

Shut pump off?

I will be leaving for vacation during our "monsoon" season ... in Yuma, AZ "monsoon" equates to wind. The neighbor that usually checks my pool for me is going on vacation also during this time. The wind during the "monsoon" season results in many leaves. etc., in my pool, filling the skimmer basket over a few days. I am looking at my options.

I have a fiberglass inground pool 20x40 with spa, SWG.

Question: Is one of my options simply shutting my pump off for the 11 days I will be gone?
    14,000gal IG Fiberglass pool with 850 gal spill over spa, Whisper Flo 1hp pool pump, Whisper Flo 2hp spa pump, DE filter, Zodiac Clearwater LM3 SWG, "Heat Siphon" Model SX5HP pool/spa heater, a water leveler and a Kreepy Krauly cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Shut pump off?

If you have a cover for the pool, bring the water to shock level and put the cover on. You should still have some chlorine in the water after 11 days and the cover should keep the leaves out. I wouldn't leave the pump on for 11 days without someone to check on it and empty the strainer every day.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Shut pump off?

It's an option, but probably not the best one

Being able to cover the pool and keep it running and having chlorine added would be better. Having someone stop by ~every few days to check the pool (with the cover on) would be best

If there's no one you can get to come by and make sure the pool hasn't started to empty itself, cover it and turn off the pump - a little algae is far better than a wrecked pool and/ or equipment
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)