Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PLEASE HELP! mini max heater nt

1. Back To Top    #1

PLEASE HELP! mini max heater nt

I have a mini max nt (model 400) heater .
    About a month ago the pool guy cleaned our filters in the pool.
    After this we started getting a read on our control board that said "err" then it would flash 888.
    The heater worked for a while in the morning when it was cool but would then turn off.
    then all of the sudden it stopped working all together. the control screen wouldn't light up unless i did a reset and then it would say "er" then go black.
    We were told it was the pressure switch which we replaced.(with no result)
    Then I was told it was the thermal probe which I just replaced, and now it wont give any
    read on the control screen at all.

The board is getting power and has no burns on it....
    All the filters are clean.

Please if any one can give me any suggestions i would greatly appreciat it!
    Amy
    16'x32' Kidney-shaped 20k gal IG
    Vinyl liner, SWG
    Hayward DE filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: PLEASE HELP! mini max heater nt

miike123,

Welcome to BABC! Sorry to hear your heater is on the fritz.

Here is the service manual for a MiniMax NT. Does your unit look like this?
    http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/Mini...viceManual.pdf
    24,000 gallon inground freeform pool/spa circa 1983 (113 ft perimeter, 625 sq ft) with 350 gallon attached spill-over spa
    2007 2 HP, three-phase Hayward TriStar pump which is powered by an Ikeric VS-200 variable speed drive system
    1983 Laars XE Pool/Spa Heater Type ES 400,000 BTU, 1998 Hayward Super Star-Clear C-4000 cartridge filter (400 sq ft, 4 separate cartridges)
    1998 Polaris 380 pressure-side cleaner w/ 3/4 HP booster pump
    One skimmer :( and one PoolSkim :), One Supervision Galaxy LED pool lamp, Second story solar panels
    Hayward/GoldLine AquaLogic PS4 (replaced 1983 vintage dual circuit Intermatic timer)

3. Back To Top    #3

YES IT DOES.
    Amy
    Vinyl liner, SWG
    Hayward DE filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Or does your control panel look like this? DDTC - Digital Display Temperature Controller

http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/Mini...er-DDTC-IG.pdf
    24,000 gallon inground freeform pool/spa circa 1983 (113 ft perimeter, 625 sq ft) with 350 gallon attached spill-over spa
    2007 2 HP, three-phase Hayward TriStar pump which is powered by an Ikeric VS-200 variable speed drive system
    1983 Laars XE Pool/Spa Heater Type ES 400,000 BTU, 1998 Hayward Super Star-Clear C-4000 cartridge filter (400 sq ft, 4 separate cartridges)
    One skimmer :( and one PoolSkim :), One Supervision Galaxy LED pool lamp, Second story solar panels
    Hayward/GoldLine AquaLogic PS4 (replaced 1983 vintage dual circuit Intermatic timer)

5. Back To Top    #5

Now it is showing ERR CODE THEN FLASHES 888 AND THE POWER LIGHT GOES OFF(OR SHOULD I SAY DIMS SO LOW THAT YOU CAN'T SEE IT) BUT THE PRESS SW LIGHT IS STILL ON WHERE THE LED LIGHTS ARE.
    Amy
    Vinyl liner, SWG
    Hayward DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

mike123,

Your symptoms don't sound promising. It sounds like your DDTC board is dying. For $25 worth of electronics, Pentair sure is proud of their stupid little circuit board. I did a quick check and came up with the following:

$306.72 a1poolparts.com
    $335.51 poolcenter.com
    $275 hill_brothers_studios at eBay
    $234.59 dizzylane2000 at eBay.

Good luck. Let us know what you eventually decide to do.