TFP Expert
Apr 4, 2007
SW Indiana
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We recently butchered a steer, and have a brisket that's just begging for a trip to the smoker. Even though we raise cattle, I've always been partial to pork on the smoker. Anybody have any advice on how to proceed?

I have always had good luck putting on a nice dry rub, loading in the smoker for 2-3 hours, then removing from the smoker, wrapping in aluminun foil and slow roasting it in the oven for a minimum of 4 hours at 275. I have not had good luck trying to smoke until tender, it usually burns before it gets tender enough or is dry as a boot after a day in the smoker. I ALWAYS add sauce after cooking. OH, one last thing you probably already know, never trim excess fat until after cooking.

Thanks Dave and Sean!

A lot of similarities between the article linked and Sean's method. Not all that different from the way I do pork shoulder now. I just wanted some guidelines so I know I'm in the ballpark on cooking time and prep. I'll have to roll out pretty early Saturday morning to have it ready for supper, but having it on the smoker while I'm in the pool or doing yard work just makes it taste that much better.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.