My update with pics

Jul 8, 2007
Montreal
This is an update to my previous post....wondering if this is algae or just dirt
here are my test results done with the taylor kit
FC= 6
TC= 6
Ph= 9
Al= 80
CYA= I added 1000 grams last night and after filling to the 9mm mark...I still see the black dot.....

I passed the vacuum to waste yesterday....after I finished.....I dropped in my robo-kleen and let clean the pool for an additional 4 hours!!! Later in the evening....the pool was clean....

This morning I wake up....and pool is dity again.....
I placed a bucket of water on the pool deck to see if it would get as dirty but it is still clean right now.....
Could this be algae or is my area simply dusty......
No trees in yard....just some hedges.....and the dirt/alge seems like a very fine dust....when I walk in the pool it dissipates...

Attachments

• IMG_3082.JPG
    IMG_3082.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 506
  • IMG_3083.JPG
    IMG_3083.JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 516
That is very likely dirt/pollen. Green algae will cloud the water and mustard algae usually grows on the walls more than on the floor. You will almost always get some dirt/pollen on the floor of the pool after a few days. Depending on the season and the weather this can happen quickly (daily) or slowly (a week or more). I get stuff on the floor for several days after a large storm and constantly during pollen season. Also, if it was algae all of your chlorine would probably be gone.

that's exactly what I get in my pool daily....but, of course, I'm about 1/4 under the outer branches of a tree, so I suspect mine is pollen also.

usually after it rains, it's less daily. I guess cause the rains are washing the tree branches of pollen.

I usually vacuum every other day and Saturday and Sunday to keep it to a minimum.

mine doesn't get that dirty....it usually takes about a day to get as dirty as it was before I vacuumed, and I'm partially under a tree.

I use a Hayward Aquacritter, and it takes about an hour and a half to do the whole pool 18x48 6280 gallons, and it misses some stuff, which takes me about 5 minutes to do by hand.

but, yes, I'm vacuuming every other day and twice on the weekends just to keep the bottom clean.

firefly, I can't tell what kind of pool you have, but if it's an AG, any chance you can cover it with some clear plastic (they sell big wide rolls pretty cheap at walmart and homestores, hardware stores, etc.)?

If it's algae, it should still get sunlight and be able to continue growing.

If it's pollen/dust, it should catch on the top of the pool.

Then you'd know for sure :)

Rangeball....I have a 21' Ag round pool.....you say I could get one of those solar blankets.....I might give it try but after spending 300$ on my robo-kleen....and 170$ on my Taylor kit,,,,,my wife wont go for it!!!...She already thinks im spending too much time on the pool....Maybe I should just let it turn green and let her take care of it!!!! :twisted: :twisted:

I get it to. My pool has several trees in close proximity, even hanging over the pool. I gathered a sample of it once and put it in a bowl outside. It did not grow. Mine has a very fine gritty feel to it, almost like pulverized sand. Hmm, I have a sand filter. I vacuum twice a week to keep it clean. Just something I have learned to live with.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Firefly,

Sorry to jump in late, but if that pH is correct you have an immediate issue. You need to get some muriatic in your pool ASAP. 9.0 is the highest I have ever seen posted in five years and can cause you some major problems.

I can't identify from the picture what's in your pool. Rub it between your thumb and finger....if it's slimey/slippery, you will need to shock.

GET YOUR pH DOWN TOMORROW WITH MURIATIC ACID IN THE 7.2 - 7.6 RANGE....DON"T WAIT.

duraleigh...thanks for the tip.....After doing my tests late last night...the ph was down to about 7.8.....all the other numbers were also good....
I will check this morning again just to make sure the ph is ok........thanks again...... :-D

Well I think I just wasted about 15.00 worth of chlorine for pollen :roll:
I too thought I had the algae in the bottom of my pool. Nothing on sides, water was clear. Tested good.
But it looks just like your photos.
So, naturally I freaked-out :shock: and started to O.D. my pool on liquid chlorine.
Our pool is located next to a lot of pine trees and the past couple days have been windy.
I also pulled my cartridge filter to clean it and there was however a slight green tint on parts of it.
So maybe it IS algae??????? :shock: :shock: :shock:

1.Do you use skimmer socks? a/k/a skimmer screens? They catch absolutely bunches of fine/small stuff along with the other stuff.
2.Are your jets aimed so that your pool circulation is all going to your skimmer?

We have all kinds of huge trees on THREE sides of our back yard pretty close and our pool stays almost clean. Actually only vacuum about once a week and no robot vacuuming.

:roll: newbie alert :wink: , but our pool looks great! hope this info helps, Joyce

I know that in my instance that the jets are aimed so the water circulates the material into the skimmer. But I think this may be part of the problem. At the beginning of this year I also had this problem...and it drove me nuts at the beginning :twisted: After I started to get a handle just what was really going on I began to feel a bit better, even though I then had to live with the problem :(.

I think the problem (for me anyway) was made worse because I have a cartridge and am unable to vacuum to waste or back-flush. Everything that goes into the skimmer is trapped in the filter and filter body. I really underestimated the amount of pollen that was in the filter body and media. After opening the filter up it was FULL of pollen! Pollen with the "wings" still on and also the small yellow to dark yellow pollen balls without the "wings". Later on in my fight I did put my skimmer socks on...they would need to be cleaned a couple of times a day.

What I think is going on is that the full pollen formation is getting sucked into the skimmer...then it sits in the filter body until the "wings" get beat up enough and wet enough where the pollen is ripped from the wings and in time is forced through the filter media. It's supposed to take some time for pollen to become waterlogged enough where it will sink in water...but I'm guessing that this process may be long enough to do just that. Which is why when the pollen is shot out of the discharge it settles at the bottom of the pool moving along with the currents until it can settle in a crack or cling to other pollen.

At the end of the pollen I had to open and clean my cartridge filter every day to ensure I was eliminating the little yellow "dust".

I guess we'll see how next year plays out :roll:

dan

Okay, I've been fighting this too. One minute I think it's pollen, the next algae?????? I do have lots of trees (solid woods) directly behind my pool. The next door neighbor has lots of very large trees too---that basically hang over my pool and make the sun disappear about 2:00 pm everyday. :(

The yellow stuff was only on the bottom of my pool. I never had any on the walls at all.....it doesn't feel slimey, it disperses into a little cloud when brushed, etc. My water did look cloudy after I vacuumed the other day but I think it was because I was trying (and trying and trying :evil: ) to get my auto vac to work and it stirred up quite a bit before I got in to manually vac. The pool was not cloudy before or since.

I did have a little yellow stuff all over the bottom today but not near as much as before (I cleaned the filter) . Hubby took the cartridge out and cleaned it and he said there was not much in there this time. I'm hoping I got it all and it will be gone. Although I just dumped 3 more gallons of bleach in tonight. Wonder if I needed it?

I'm soooo confused.

Oh, and which way to I point the diverter jet thing? I've got it pointed to the right under the water. Thinking it will "push" the water around the pool. Is that right?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.