algae and closing instructions

CindyK

Sep 4, 2009
Hello,

This is my first time writing in a forum, so please excuse my mistakes. I'm also new at caring for a pool. We bought a house with an A.G. pool last Aug., have used it all Summer with only small issues (solar reel broke, tears in bottom part of liner) not related to water quality. I count myself lucky.

After 2 weeks of ignoring the pool due to the start of school and athletics, I removed the cover to find green algae growing on the bottom and steps. Water still looks clear. I checked the chlorine dispenser (on the outside, has a dial) and there was no chlorine left. I shocked the pool and added tabs.

Finally to my question-should I take some water up to be tested now, or wait until the pool is all clean? My simple drop test now shows chlorine at the top (very yellow, can't remember the numbers). I'm going to order the T100 for use next year. After reading about BBB, once we get it clear, we will close down with bleach. I've also read the shock article.

Are there specific instructions on how to close an A.G. pool using the BBB method on this site? I really need the step by step because I didn't even know many of the abbreviations you all use until I read the pool chemistry article. Last year, almost all of our water disappeared either through evaporation or pushing through the return hole despite having the water level lower than it (water displacement due to weight on cover?). What was left was clear and ready to go. I plan to buy a cover for the skimmer hole AND return this year. We bought a green vinyl cover to use with a wire that runs through grommets.

Thanks in advance

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.