winter cover

bobmac

Aug 11, 2009
I need a winter cover (12 X 24 AGP). What are your thoughts on the solid vs micro-mesh. My understanding is that the mesh style allows rainwater and melting snow through to the pool. Is this a good thing??? I also noticed in the pool school winterizing article it says: "If using a winter cover, install per manufacturers instructions." Are covers optional? Why would you not cover the pool??? This is my first winter, so I have no experience at all.

Only reasons you need one that I can think of would be safety (especially for inground pools) and to keep leaves and other debris out of your water. There are several members here who don't cover their pool and just rake the leaves out as needed (note : a pool leaf rake is NOT the same as a lawn leaf rake!). In fact, I'm contemplating doing that very thing myself.

Solid vs mesh - personal preference. I've got a solid one now, and FWIW, it's a pain to have to keep the water drained off and the leaves gathered up, hence my thoughts about not covering it at all.

Just my .02.

I've used both. The solid is a mess to deal with when you go to open your pool in the spring with leaves and yuck on top.
I used the mesh with an air pillow in the middle of the pool with clamps I bought from Home Depot to tighten down to the top rail so the cover would not touch the pool water, this one is easier to take off but you have more cleaning of the pool come spring.
I will prob use the mesh again this year.

But you can clean the mess in the pool much easier than the one on top of the cover.

We don't cover our AGP. We did the first year and seriously disliked the swampy, soggy mess on top of the cover that following spring. Now, I rake the leaves out until well into December, it's not a big deal and I sort of like doing it. Yes, I'm a little odd :)

It freezes solid by January and when it's finally thawed again in mid-to-end-April there's nary a leaf on the bottom.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.