light transformer

Sep 3, 2009
Hi,

I have a Hayward Pro series light 300 watt transformer.

The problem I'm having is after a couple of hours or days. (it varies) The transformer shuts off.
To fix it I have to open up the transformer and reset the little white switch (breaker).

Is my transformer going on me? Any other ideas?

Thanks

Scott

scottcostello,

Welcome to BABC!

Now a couple of questions:

1. How long has the transformer been installed?
2. Is the problem you're having something that has been happening awhile, or has it just started?
3. If the problem has just started, have you done any changes in equipment or operation recently?
4. What exactly is the transformer feeding? Number of items and each items wattage would be very useful.

Is this the transformer that you have? http://www.haywardnet.com/products/Manuals/pdfs/manual185.pdf

Thanks very much for the quick reply

1. How long has the transformer been installed?
The pool is about 4 years old.
2. Is the problem you're having something that has been happening awhile, or has it just started?
I'm not sure, we just bought the house, it's been happening since we moved in.
3. If the problem has just started, have you done any changes in equipment or operation recently?
The only thing I've done was put a timer on the pool house outdoor lights which is on the same circuit, however,
the problem was there before that.
4. What exactly is the transformer feeding? Number of items and each items wattage would be very useful.
It's feeding the two pool lights and that's it. Sorry I have no idea what the wattage of those lights are.

Is this the transformer that you have? http://www.haywardnet.com/products/Manu ... ual185.pdf
different model number but it looks like it and has the same breaker switch etc. My model number is TR300R or TR3604R they
are both on it.

Again thanks
scottcostello,

Scott,

I don't have a transformer on my pool lights, and the Hayward manual was not very useful. The manual didn't even mention the switch you are talking about.

I'm a little confused. You said that the transformer will work for a couple of hours or days, but are you running your pool lights for days at a time? How exactly are you seeing the transformer failure - are you turning on your pool lights and then at some point they go out? Or are you trying to turn on your pool lights and then find out that the transformer isn't working?

Do you have access to a clamp-on electrical multimeter?

I agree about the manual and the staff at Hayward, neither were very helpful. All the Hayward people kept telling me
was to resync the light. Turn it on and let it resync. Once I told them it's not a sync issue as soon as I hit the breaker/switch button
the lights come back on with no issues they were at a loss and put me on hold until I hung up (20-25mins)

As for the lights it's a bit of both. When I reset the breaker they will work for a bit and either fail after an hour or two or work
for a few days, off during the days and on in the evenings for an hour or two.
No I don't leave them running or have a timer it's all either through the remote or the
switch on the front of the transformer.

I've sent Hayward an email asking them what transformer replaces this one!
This is my first pool so when you say you don't use a transformer how do you turn your
lights on. Normal house power and switch?

Do I need a transformer?

Thanks
Scott

scottcostello said,
This is my first pool so when you say you don't use a transformer how do you turn your
lights on. Normal house power and switch?

Do I need a transformer?

I have a 30 Amp, 120/240 Volt feed from my house panel to a pool panel (located in the Aqua Logic electrical enclosure). A 15 Amp GFI breaker then feeds the pool light and spa light. There used to be exterior switches that controlled the two lights individually. Now the two lights are turned on and off via 120 Volt relays in the Aqua Logic electrical enclosure. The relays are controlled by wireless remotes.

You need a transformer if your lights are the 12 Volt style.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.