Black stuff in MA???

The only thing I can think of that would be black is carbon particles. I don't know if it's OK to put in the pool or not, but if it were me I would return them to HD and find some jugs that didn't have the black stuff - maybe at Lowes.

stev32k said:
The only thing I can think of that would be black is carbon particles. I don't know if it's OK to put in the pool or not, but if it were me I would return them to HD and find some jugs that didn't have the black stuff - maybe at Lowes.

I don't know, either, but I would return it.

Huh, guess I will return it then. That way I won't have to ask y'all how to dispose of it safely. That was going to be my next question! :p

It's kind of weird, because I used about a quart of one of the gallons before noticing the particles. Then I immediately opened the other one, and they were there too.

Hope HD will take it back without a receipt... :roll: I'm not sure I want an exchange, because how would I tell if the rest of the pallet was contaminated as well?

Just an update: Got a full refund from Home Depot, so took that money over to Lowe's and purchased 2 contaminant-free gallons.

But I'm curious...has no one else ever ran into this problem before? Black particulate matter in muriatic acid? Looked like someone put a handful of dirt in each gallon jug...

I haven't and I've handled a lot of muriatic and hydrochloric acid (muriatic is just a poor grade of hydrochloric). You will frequently see yellow muriatic which is caused by iron contamination, but I don't believe I've ever encountered black particles.

stev32k said:
I haven't and I've handled a lot of muriatic and hydrochloric acid (muriatic is just a poor grade of hydrochloric). You will frequently see yellow muriatic which is caused by iron contamination, but I don't believe I've ever encountered black particles.
Really? I think most of the MA I have bought around here is yellow(ish)! :shock: Could the black particles have been iron??? They remained in suspension when mixed...I can't help wondering if I was just the "lucky" one or if the entire pallet at HD was contaminated...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The MA will completely dissolve iron, or rust and turn the solution yellow so iron is not a likely candidate. Your black particles could have been any one of several things like carbon or some organic carbon containing compound or it could have been some sort of plastic particle - there really is no way of knowing.

stev32k said:
The MA will completely dissolve iron, or rust and turn the solution yellow so iron is not a likely candidate. Your black particles could have been any one of several things like carbon or some organic carbon containing compound or it could have been some sort of plastic particle - there really is no way of knowing.

P.S. There is a joke in the chemical industry about how some people think yellow muriatic acid is stronger than clear acid. So for those people the manufacturer will add several nails to a truck load of acid to get the strength up.

stev32k said:
Thanks for taking the time to respond!

:cheers:
Dave

anonapersona said:
So, is using "yellow" MA a source of metal staining on pools?

Could be - depends on how "yellow" it is and how much you add. Pale yellow has a little iron, darker yellow has more, and sometimes it can be almost orange that indicates a lot of iron. It's easy to get a "feel" for how much is present. Get jug that is clear and add a few rust particles or a small tack and watch the color. Then add more tacks or a small nail and watch the color deepen.

I make it a practice to never buy the yellow stuff if I can tell the color from outside the jug.

stev32k said:
I make it a practice to never buy the yellow stuff if I can tell the color from outside the jug.
That's the trick though isn't it? Most of what I've bought is in an opaque white container, although the stuff I just bought at Lowe's did come in a clear jug. But they are still packed in a cardboard container that you would have to open first...then what if you found yellow(ish)? Drive to another store?

I'm hoping there is not enough iron in my yellow jugs to cause any harm. Bottoms up!!! :roll:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.