Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Black stuff in MA???

1. Back To Top    #1

Black stuff in MA???

Is this normal? Maybe something has precipitated out? Is the black stuff OK to put in the pool? It is in both gallon containers of MA bought recently from Home Depot.
    20K gal IG plaster pool, Manually chlorinated with 6% bleach, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Polaris 280

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Black stuff in MA???

What is MA?
    20' x 40' IG with vinyl liner volume approx. 35,000 gal.1.5 H.P. main pump, Polaris 280 cleaner W/ 3/4 H.P. booster pump
    Hayward sand filter, 3.14 sq ft, 62 gpm. Stenner 45 MPH10 chlorine feed pump. 1 micron final filter bags (home made and very effective)

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by stev32k
    What is MA?
    muriatic acid
    20K gal IG plaster pool, Manually chlorinated with 6% bleach, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Polaris 280

4. Back To Top    #4

The only thing I can think of that would be black is carbon particles. I don't know if it's OK to put in the pool or not, but if it were me I would return them to HD and find some jugs that didn't have the black stuff - maybe at Lowes.
    20' x 40' IG with vinyl liner volume approx. 35,000 gal.1.5 H.P. main pump, Polaris 280 cleaner W/ 3/4 H.P. booster pump
    Hayward sand filter, 3.14 sq ft, 62 gpm. Stenner 45 MPH10 chlorine feed pump. 1 micron final filter bags (home made and very effective)

5. Back To Top    #5

The only thing I can think of that would be black is carbon particles. I don't know if it's OK to put in the pool or not, but if it were me I would return them to HD and find some jugs that didn't have the black stuff - maybe at Lowes.
    I don't know, either, but I would return it.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Huh, guess I will return it then. That way I won't have to ask y'all how to dispose of it safely. That was going to be my next question! :P

It's kind of weird, because I used about a quart of one of the gallons before noticing the particles. Then I immediately opened the other one, and they were there too.

Hope HD will take it back without a receipt... I'm not sure I want an exchange, because how would I tell if the rest of the pallet was contaminated as well?

7. Back To Top    #7

"Refund, please." If no, then store credit
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Just an update: Got a full refund from Home Depot, so took that money over to Lowe's and purchased 2 contaminant-free gallons.

But I'm curious...has no one else ever ran into this problem before? Black particulate matter in muriatic acid? Looked like someone put a handful of dirt in each gallon jug...

9. Back To Top    #9

I haven't and I've handled a lot of muriatic and hydrochloric acid (muriatic is just a poor grade of hydrochloric). You will frequently see yellow muriatic which is caused by iron contamination, but I don't believe I've ever encountered black particles.

10. Back To Top    #10

I haven't and I've handled a lot of muriatic and hydrochloric acid (muriatic is just a poor grade of hydrochloric). You will frequently see yellow muriatic which is caused by iron contamination, but I don't believe I've ever encountered black particles.
    Really? I think most of the MA I have bought around here is yellow(ish)! Could the black particles have been iron??? They remained in suspension when mixed...I can't help wondering if I was just the "lucky" one or if the entire pallet at HD was contaminated...

11. Back To Top    #11

The MA will completely dissolve iron, or rust and turn the solution yellow so iron is not a likely candidate. Your black particles could have been any one of several things like carbon or some organic carbon containing compound or it could have been some sort of plastic particle - there really is no way of knowing.

12. Back To Top    #12

The MA will completely dissolve iron, or rust and turn the solution yellow so iron is not a likely candidate. Your black particles could have been any one of several things like carbon or some organic carbon containing compound or it could have been some sort of plastic particle - there really is no way of knowing.
    P.S. There is a joke in the chemical industry about how some people think yellow muriatic acid is stronger than clear acid. So for those people the manufacturer will add several nails to a truck load of acid to get the strength up.

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

Dave

14. Back To Top    #14

So, is using "yellow" MA a source of metal staining on pools?
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by anonapersona
    So, is using "yellow" MA a source of metal staining on pools?
    Could be - depends on how "yellow" it is and how much you add. Pale yellow has a little iron, darker yellow has more, and sometimes it can be almost orange that indicates a lot of iron. It's easy to get a "feel" for how much is present. Get jug that is clear and add a few rust particles or a small tack and watch the color. Then add more tacks or a small nail and watch the color deepen.

I make it a practice to never buy the yellow stuff if I can tell the color from outside the jug.

16. Back To Top    #16

I make it a practice to never buy the yellow stuff if I can tell the color from outside the jug.
    That's the trick though isn't it? Most of what I've bought is in an opaque white container, although the stuff I just bought at Lowe's did come in a clear jug. But they are still packed in a cardboard container that you would have to open first...then what if you found yellow(ish)? Drive to another store?

I'm hoping there is not enough iron in my yellow jugs to cause any harm. Bottoms up!!!

17. Back To Top    #17

The black specs were most likely from the rubber lining used in HCL storage tanks. HCL will turn yellow if it comes in contact with humid air.
    21' Leslies Beachland Ag Pool, 10,000 gallons, professionally installed (best money I ever spent) Hayward 16" sand filter w/Pentair two speed pump Fafco 4x20 solar heater,Aqua Trol RJ. Borates added. Hard plumbed.

18. Back To Top    #18

I've been wondering about the yellow--the wimpy 14% MA that I picked up from HD one time was as yellow as my 12.5% bleach. My regular MA supply is colorless.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page