Catfish as pool cleaners

unfortunately, due to the economy and growing number of foreclosures :shock: this has become more common place than you may think. If you have a vacant foreclosed home with now what is a man-made pond, there are towns/agencies that will dump fish in the water to prevent mosquitos, bugs...etc

Yeah, I saw that article this morning. I couldn't help but wonder since I also care for a large aquarium, aren't the fish only going to expel waste from what they are consuming and further contaminate the water with nitrates, etc... ? Also, catfish are bottom feeders and not likely to be feeding on the mosquitos on the surface.

I'm not convinced that this is good solution. But desperate times call for desperate measures. This seems to be just that.

ON EDIT: If it were a house next to me I would be making nightly visits and dumping clorox in there myself :batman:

Only the mosquito fish make any sense to add to forclosure pools. Other fish will just transform algae from the wall to poop on the floor, although I suppose a catfish would also eat frogs and tadpoles -- maybe that is their purpose.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.