Sand in pool after backwashing

Sep 2, 2009
Killen, AL
I recently bought a home with a baqucil pool and after converting to chlorine
changed the sand in the filter. Since then when I rinse after backwashing, there
is sand in the sight glass. Also when I initially switch to filter (after backwashing)
there is sand coming out the returns for about 20-30 seconds. Yesterday was the third
time this occurred. When I changed the sand there was no damage to the laterals
and the pipe in the middle looked OK. I filled the filter tank about 1/3 full with water
before adding sand to cushion the laterals. Is this normal after changing sand for a
period of time or do I have problems? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

you should rinse for about 2 minutes or until there is no sand in the sight glass, before switching back to filter.

Also...very important, be sure to turn off your filter each time before you change positions on the multiport valve.

ie.. turn off filter, set to backwash--turn on the filter (wait for clear water to come out the backwash hose)---turn off filter---set valve to rinse---turn on filter---run 2mins or until sight glass is clear---turn off filter----set valve to filter---turn on filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.