Dookie! New AGP and need help with conversion.

Queakous

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 13, 2009
Pensacola, FL
Got an 24' 52" AGP about a month ago. Got poolstored :oops: for Pristine Blue. My bad as I did not do enough research prior to pool install and opening. Just too excited to finally have a pool.
After joining TFP and doing some reading I want to convert to BBB.
I have been the perfect chump :hammer: , taking samples to the PS every 2 weeks and always having to add something, something expensive.
As of yesterday my chem according to the PS was:
pH 7.7
Hardness 130ppm
Alk 90ppm
PrisBlue 0.3ppm

They directed me to add 57 oz. muriatic acid, 1lb 6oz. non chlorine shock, 18 oz PrisBlue, 2.7 oz Pristine Clean.
I did this like a dummy but the muriatic acid gave me the creeps and I started into some more in depth research on PB.
EEK! I put it all in at the same time! In different areas but augghhh! Lucky nothing blew up.

Prior directed chem addition to date have included:
16 lb. CA+ H20 hardner at opening
A total to date of 64oz. PB
4-6 lb. Baquacil
4-8 oz Pris clean.
Several doses of non chlorine shock.
57 oz. muriatic acid

Will get chem rechecked today by someone else and will post those results.

Must admit water is sparkly blue but I get the creeps just looking at it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Alrighty...here are the results

TC 0
FC 0
pH 7.0
TA 70 ppm
CA hardness 190 ppm
Stabilizer 0
Total dissolved Solids (?) 400 ppm (what is this? :?: )
Copper 0.6

Of course, I told them what I was up to and they said it wouldn't be that difficult to switch.
Then tried to sell me some kind of super shock they said would dissipate the PB.

I said thanks, gotta go. Can't start it today as I have to work all wknd.
HAD to hear what you had to say first. :goodjob:

Muratic Acid gives me the creeps too. We use it to clean our concrete porch. STOUT STUFF :shock: !! We had an intex above ground last summer and never used a method like the BBB or put Muratic Acid in our pool. It never occured to us to do so. We just kept pouring in the Walmart stuff and changing the filter because we always had green water. It completely changed my husbands mind about going bigger :rant: . I have learned a lot on this site that has made me look at pools in a whole new light :cheers: . I think we will do very well with the advice we get on here.

Good luck with your conversion... :wave:

Queakous said:
Alrighty...here are the results

TC 0
FC 0
pH 7.0
TA 70 ppm
CA hardness 190 ppm
Stabilizer 0
Total dissolved Solids (?) 400 ppm (what is this? :?: )
Copper 0.6

Of course, I told them what I was up to and they said it wouldn't be that difficult to switch.
Then tried to sell me some kind of super shock they said would dissipate the PB.

I said thanks, gotta go. Can't start it today as I have to work all wknd.
HAD to hear what you had to say first. :goodjob:

The copper level is about what I expected since you recently added addition PB product. Don't be surprised if you see any blond-haired family or friends have their hair take on a green tint. Hopefully this level will drop over time with water replacement/splashout. It's not too bad so that's good. Keep your PH no higher than 7.4-7.5 to minimize the risk of copper staining to your pool.

TDS is nothing to worry about, it's a basic meaningless number that doesn't really tell you anything.

Your PH is on the low side, your TA is fine for now. When your test kit comes, retest and if the PH is still 7.0, raise it up a bit with Borax, available in the laundry aisle. In the meantime, start to play with the Pool Calculator and learn how to use it, it will tell you how much Borax you need to add to get the PH to 7.4.

You'll need some CYA, also called Stabilizer/conditioner - Wal-mart carries, as does Lowes, etc., places with pool depts. This time of year (as the season is winding down in some areas) you may need to get it from the Pool Store. You want 30-50 ppm for your pool, use the pool calc and when you add it, use the 'sock method'.

You can go ahead and add enough bleach daily to maintain a small amount of chlorine - about a 1/2 jug morning and night should do- until you get CYA in the pool - then you want to maintain your chlorine level according to the CYA chart. I wouldn't wait until Monday to add bleach, go ahead and start adding it today. A little each day to keep the pool properly sanitized.

Hope this helps. :wave:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That muriatic acid is intense, first time I was pouring it into a measuring cup some spilled on a brick and made a nice little sizzle sound, I was not enjoying those few minutes at all.
Pouring it into the pool wasn't any better either!

Best of luck with your pool though. These folks here are the best.

Yeah..BE CAREFUL WITH MA!!..Where I work, we use it to etch cement, and clean grafitti off of cinder block wall. This stuff is nasty and you MUST wear eye, hand, mouth, face protection when using it. I work closely with an Industrial Hygienist, and MA actually has a respirator cartridge recomendation when using it.

Just my two cents on Muriatic Acid.

Dan

Test kit is here :party: and my inaugural test says:

FC 0
CC 0
pH 7.4
CA 130ppm
CYA 0
TA 60

I will take a sample to the local place and get the CYA stuff you told me about and have them check for copper again.
So I reckon I will be needing BBB, eh? I still have the bucket of baking soda- about 7lb.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.