Another new user calcium question.

nurserl

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 27, 2009
Evansville, IN
So, I found this forum while researching algae and staining problems a few weeks ago. I have learned much! Add me to the "pool-stored" list! (I hate going there, anyway) Bought tf-100 last week and tested yesterday.
FC 5
CC 0
TC 5
pH 7.3
TA 60
CH 180
CH of tap for refill 120
CYA 0-10?

I have purchased washing soda for pH and TA and CYA (by sock) to add per the pool calculator. Will be going to bleach as recommended. Correct?
Upon shopping for calcuim chloride, looking for deicer (as Schooled), found it's generally out of season. So, went to pool store and told as soon as I brought the overpriced packages to counter, that "you don't need that for that pool" because we have hard water (this gentleman sold the pool package to my parents). Told him the level was only 180 and I had read that I needed to get it up (recommended min. level 220 here?). "Well, I'll sell you anything, but once it's in you can't get it out..." he says nothing more. Anyway, I think I understand that increased calcuim will help prevent corrosion. I'm trying not to let this guy get to me, but he has me mildly concerned about adding the calcium. The refill source can't increase the Ca enough, can it? This is only the second season for this pool. Troubles popped up this year. I've skimmed a bit for answers before posting.
Thank you for all of the wonderful info here!
Rebecca

Hello and welcome!

Your pH, TA and CH are only a little below the recommendations. The CH in your fill water will gradually increase the CH in the pool over time. You can bring it up a little with calcium chloride if you want. It is true that once it's in, it stays in, and the only way to get it out is by draining water. But there's a fair amount of leeway on the high side.

With a bit of CYA in there, you should be good to go.
--paulr

Hi Rebecca and welcome to the forum :wave:

You are correct that the recommended level for CH min is 220 ( range 220 - 320) for fiberglass.
Yep, the CH will help prevent cobalt spotting and staining.

If you are adjusting CH, do it on a day that you are not adjusting anything else.

Having a sand filter, you will likely be adding more CH over time as you backwash.

I suggest you use baking soda and raise your TA to about 80.
The baking soda will also raise the pH slightly.

Like Paul said, you do need to get some CYA in your pool. :-D

Congrats on getting the TF100 test kit. You are on the way to a Trouble Free Pool :goodjob:

Here's a link to the Ascorbic Acid Treatment: ascorbic-treatment-to-rid-pool-of-metal-stains-t2298.html (You can also locate it thru Pool School.)

I just wanted to point out that Citric Acid can be used.

Also, I found citric acid at my local health food store sold in appx. 1 lb. containers for $2.55 per pound.

If I was going to do a treatment, I'd wait 'til my water temp and chlorine demand were lower. Just my .02 :wink:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.