Looking for a Winter Safety Cover...advice, opinions?

Jun 14, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
Just as the title says, i'm looking for a winter safety cover for my new pool.
My local pool store told me to go with Anchor Industries(5 -Star Cover) instead of Loop-Loc and listed some differences.
Obviously they are going to sell me the brand they deal with.

So whats out there, and what are the best options?
I want to go with a solid type of cover.

Thanks.

Any of the name brands are fairly good. I'd consider one with a mesh panels so you don't have to mess with a pump. You can save at least half by ordering it online and installing it yourself. Not hard at all.

From what i have researched and have been told the solid ones are good for keeping your pool much cleaner then just the plain mesh.

For measuring i was told i need to have 1 1/2" extra to overlap the pool.
But researching online i read 2" was needed to overlap the edge of the pool.
So if i stay within that range i should be fine to judge the size of the cover?

Installing i'm not concerned about that, i have all the tools and help accessible to me.
Its just a matter of figuring out which cover is better to go with.

WestSidePool said:
For measuring i was told i need to have 1 1/2" extra to overlap the pool.
But researching online i read 2" was needed to overlap the edge of the pool.
So if i stay within that range i should be fine to judge the size of the cover?

When you order, you don't worry about the overlap. Just give accurate dimensions for your pool and the company will make a cover to fit. If you give extended measurements on a Grecian, you could end up with misaligned corners or steps.

One tip on a Grecian: If you have 3ft deck width anyplace, you may not have enough for the standard anchor distance. The beveled corners extend far enough out that the straps aren't intersecting the deck at a right angle so the anchors have to be placed a little closer than normal.

I wouldn't be too hung up on the mesh vs. solid for keeping the water clean. I have a LL mesh, and I can see the pattern in my liner in the deep end when I take the cover off. Vaccuming once clears it, and I don't think a solid cover is going to keep the pool clean enough to not need vacuuming when you open. Most of the dirt blows in under the edges of the cover. I get a few leaves, and tons of bugs and worms. The big advantage of the solid cover is that if you open later, you aren't likely to have algae due to it blocking the sunlight. Some mesh covers now have a finer weave that claims to rival solid covers for cleanliness.

With a solid cover, if you don't have mesh panels, you have to pump the cover regularly.

The smallest portion of my decking is 4 1/2 feet and thats on the left side and not on the corners, so i dont think i should have an issue with it.

That was going to be my next questions is the pump or the filtering system on the cover the better choice.
But it seems like a filter system would be.

So i've been researching around and i'm for sure buying online for cost, and i'm leaning towards the Dura Mesh, Mesh II and any other name a company calls it.

Since i have never owned a cover before i was interested in peoples experience with the New Mesh covers vs. a Solid cover with mesh panel.
Is the Algae prevention just as good, water drainage, and safety?

I have this same pool. I want to install a safety cover myself. Any rough ideas on how many holes I will have to drill? What type of drill and bits should I use? I'm trying figure out how much help I'll need :)

Dolby said:
I have this same pool. I want to install a safety cover myself. Any rough ideas on how many holes I will have to drill? What type of drill and bits should I use? I'm trying figure out how much help I'll need :)

Dolby,
After my research I found the that Loop-Loc Mesh uses 30 Anchors.
Although each manufacturer cover is different for the amount of anchors they use.

As for the tools you need, (Hammer, hammer drill (for concrete) tape measure and a masonary bit are the main things you need).
Most of the manufacturers websites, or even the site you may by the cover from have install instructions on that particular cover, and they give you the sizes of bits and things you need.

Three years ago we purchased the Ultra-Loc from Loop-Loc, which is the hybrid between solid and mesh (I guess it has a few mesh panels and mostly solid, so the water can drain in a few spots).

We love it.. water does not pool on the cover at all, and it seems to keep out enough sun to keep the algae away.

Besides the safety aspects of one of these covers, the best thing I like is that when leaves fall on it, after a while they dry up, and you can just blow them off.

My .02..

Good luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
WestSidePool said:
But what i've found out so far is they don't offer the Ultra-Loc in my pool setup shape, without it being a custom order, so i'm leaning towards the Mesh II from LL.

Ahh I see your point. Our pool is also a Grecian with the steps off to the side, and we did special order it. It wasn't cheap (but I don't remember it being ridiculous expensive either), but we are very happy with the cover.

Good luck in your decision.

I have a solid loop-loc with the center mesh panel. For my area (not a lot of rain, not too many leaves, lots of sunshine and no winter freeze) it seems the best choice.

Regarding tools: A hammer drill is not designed for the large diameter holes you need. You need arotary hammer. I just got the cheap one from Harbour Freight tools. It ain't the nicest one, but its cheap and it works. You could also just rent one. If you do use the harbor freight one, the supplied bits are metric and not useful to you. I have also found that they are a bit soft and don't work well. Get a nice Bosch bit. Well worth it. Now, what I also found is that to get the holes started, get about a 2 foot length of 2x4 or such and drill a 3/4" hole in it in the middle. Place that excally over your intended drilling location and stand on it while starting the hole with the rotary hammer. This will keep the drill from wandering as you start the hole. Once the holes is started, the plank is optional. Use a shop vacuum to suck away all the dust. I weighted down the hose with a sand bag up next to the bit. Keeps things nice and tidy.

A rotary hammer will take about 1/10th the time a hammer drill will take.

Please don't buy the anchor industries cover. Those rubber straps are a pain and it seems like there are twice as many when compared to a loop-loc or simliar cover. The only advanage is that the cover is solid, but you'll need to pump the water off. Regardless if you want a totally solid cover loop-loc makes the ultra-loc with and without drain panels. Personally I like the drain panels idea since you don't have to worry about pumping off the cover, and the water still looks good on the opening. I would recommend loop-loc or meyco.. just please not anchor industries

X-PertPool said:
Please don't buy the anchor industries cover. Those rubber straps are a pain and it seems like there are twice as many when compared to a loop-loc or simliar cover. The only advanage is that the cover is solid, but you'll need to pump the water off. Regardless if you want a totally solid cover loop-loc makes the ultra-loc with and without drain panels. Personally I like the drain panels idea since you don't have to worry about pumping off the cover, and the water still looks good on the opening. I would recommend loop-loc or meyco.. just please not anchor industries

Thanks for the input, you will be glad to hear that on Friday i ordered the Loop-Loc Mesh II cover.
They never got back to me with a quote for the Ultra-Loc so i just opted for the Mesh II.

I'll have to wait for next year to see how good the loop-loc IIs really are. They say they open up clean not green. I can say that is definitely the case for the ultra-loc covers but this is the first year we've installed the loop-loc IIs vs. ultra-locs. Take care of your cover anchors, remover the anchor fully and spray the heck out of it with a silicone spray and then re-insert, preventative maintenance is a must with cover anchors as they tend to get dirt on the threads.

Just received the cover this evening, going to be installing the cover tomorrow.
Hopefully when i open the pool next year, i'm not looking at the Hulk. I know that's really not the covers fault though, its more the chemical level.

As for the installation of it from a previous post.
I already have high quality masonry bits, along with a heavy duty rotary hammer, and a nice Bosh Bulldog hammer drill that drills through just about anything we have thrown at it. But thanks for the advice it is appreciated. :cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.