Crack in Vari Flow Valve

hzz

Apr 9, 2007
Toronto Canada
I am in the process of opening my pool, and have found a small crack in the plastic around the threads for the pressure valve. It leaks quite a bit.

Is there a fix for this, or do I need to buy a new valve head?

Filter is a Hayward sand filter, about 10 years old with the vari flow valve.

Thanks!

hzz,

I don't recognize "vari-flow" but it sounds like your multiport valve (where you switch from filter to backwash to rinse, etc). If that's the valve, you can normally get replacement parts online or at a pool dealer. No need to buy the whole thing.

Hzz, nice to 'see' you over here! :-D

A possible fix is to remove the male fitting from the port and gently! spread open the crack a bit and apply a small amt of glue to the crack (be sure not to let any get inside to the threads!!) (for glue I use PVC glue because I have 3-5 cans of it on my service van, but crazy glue should also work) Then get 2 ss clamps to put on the port, tighten them down, replace the male fitting (retaped w/ teflon). This works for me most of the time, but not always.

Hayward is willing to sell you just the body of the multiport for ~ 2/3 what a whole new 'complete' unit costs (they come with no gaskets, the top plate, handle, etc so make sure that all the other components of the multi are in good shape before buying just the body {or housing, as they are also called}) The model number is on the top plate it will start "SP 710 X ##" (if the connections are 1.5") or "SP 715X##" (if 2") - if you end up ordering a replacement, make sure it is the same model (be very careful not to get one that has "R" after the "X" in the model # as those are for DE filters and the internals are 180 deg. opposite!)

Thanks for the reply, Waste. Good thing we have this forum...poolforum is gone :(

Eventually what happened was that I went to a local pool store.They didn't have the body,or any other parts for that valve as they said it had been replaced with a newer model by Hayward.

Since the valve was over 10 years old I decided to replace the whole thing.Got the new valve for $135.00 and put it in. End of problem.

What ticks me off is that I am always so careful about screwing in the pressure valve. I remove it each winter and replace it in the spring. I use teflon tape, don't overtighten, and still it cracked. I guess 10 years is Ok. It would never have happened if the valve were metal. That's my rant for the day :)

I just opened my pool again this year and found the same issue. My SP166T filter has a hairline crack at the pressure gauge tapping. From what I read online it is a common problem, though of course Hayward won't admit to it. I am trying JB weld with Silicone Sealant over it to see if that will work. I am also going to put a plastic plug in the tapping instead of the pressure gauge so as not to expand the opening and break the seals. Wish me luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.