Recommended CYA Level For My Sunny Pool

I have a 20,000 gallon IGP that gets a TON of sun this time of year, and it will be touching 100 this weekend. I am currently losing 4-6 ppm FC daily, so I'm dumping slightly more than a gallon of 10% bleach in every day on average.

My CYA is 40. To reduce FC consumption, I'm going to bump CYA up in steps of 5ppm (using PoolMath and the sock in front of the return method) over the next couple of days, and retest until I get to 50ppm. I've seen 50ppm as a recommendation on several threads for folks who have hot, sunny pools. My sense is you could probably go up to 60ppm and maybe higher to decrease FC consumption, but this means you have to be very wary of trichlor pucks (for use during a vacation, for example) or any other combo product that might introduce more CYA into your mix. Also, if you allow FC to drop below minimum, and end up having to SLAM because of algae, you will have to up your chlorine more with the higher CYA level.

I was just reading in a document from Taylor that stated that ideal CYA is 30 - 50 ppm, the benefits decline between 50 and 100 and over 100ppm becomes detrimental. My pool is in direct sunlight and I try not to let it get above 50.

Mike.

I was just reading in a document from Taylor that stated that ideal CYA is 30 - 50 ppm, the benefits decline between 50 and 100 and over 100ppm becomes detrimental. My pool is in direct sunlight and I try not to let it get above 50.

Mike.
Well, we would disagree a bit with that paper ;)
Since they will NEVER recommend a FC greater than 5ppm (for some unexplained archaic reason), they have to suggest lower CYA levels to keep the water safe and clear.
It is a psuedo-step toward acknowledgment and acceptance of the FC/CYA relationship.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.