Sulfuric Acid to Lower PH

H2O_Keeper

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 8, 2008
SW Indiana
Went to buy some MA today and they were out at the hardware. Right next to it was Sulfuric Acid for about 20% more in cost and 1/4 the size. I was unable to find the concentration on the bottle. Is it safe to use Sulfuric Acid to lower PH in a pool? Anyone have an idea how much one quart might lower PH in a known pool size versus MA? I realize the strength of what I found is left out...

Sulfuric acid lowers pH much the same as muriatic acid when at equal cocentrations. It adds sulfates to the water, though. I wouldn't use it for the long haul, but it's fine in a pinch.

Yep, what no-mas said. For the commonly available concentrations (muriatic at 31.45% and sulfuric at 38.5%) you need just about the same amount to have the same effect. Sulfuric acid adds sulfates (bad), costs more (bad), and doesn't fume the way muriatic acid does (good).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.