Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sulfuric Acid to Lower PH

1. Back To Top    #1

Sulfuric Acid to Lower PH

Went to buy some MA today and they were out at the hardware. Right next to it was Sulfuric Acid for about 20% more in cost and 1/4 the size. I was unable to find the concentration on the bottle. Is it safe to use Sulfuric Acid to lower PH in a pool? Anyone have an idea how much one quart might lower PH in a known pool size versus MA? I realize the strength of what I found is left out...
    21K Gal, IG, Vinyl, Bleach-Borax-Baking Soda, 3/4HP Hayward pump, Hayward sand filter, 200,000BTU Heater, TF100 Testkit
    "All that we are arises with our thoughts." - Buddha
    “When fate hands you a lemon, make lemonade.” - Dale Carnegie

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sulfuric Acid to Lower PH

Sulfuric acid lowers pH much the same as muriatic acid when at equal cocentrations. It adds sulfates to the water, though. I wouldn't use it for the long haul, but it's fine in a pinch.
    18k gal inground, everbrite finish, 505 sq ft; 1.5 hp two speed whisperflow; rheem 5100ti 100k btu heat pump; 3 sheer descent falls; DE filter; swg (cell out and using trichlor for now)

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Sulfuric Acid to Lower PH

Yep, what no-mas said. For the commonly available concentrations (muriatic at 31.45% and sulfuric at 38.5%) you need just about the same amount to have the same effect. Sulfuric acid adds sulfates (bad), costs more (bad), and doesn't fume the way muriatic acid does (good).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School