Stains on Newly Re-Tiled Pool

Sep 1, 2009
I hope this makes it to the right Forum! I have stains on the bottom of my newly re-tiled pool.I have had it drained 3 times. It has been cleaned and in places re-cemented between the tiles. I have been getting lots of useless advice.Everybody says they have never seen this before. Gee,that really helps me. It also doesn't help that i am in Puerto Vallarta,Mexico and the culture here is "different".I am told the stains are due to chlorine powder put directly into the water instead of into the skimmer! How do i remove these stains? Today the floor of the pool was cleaned with Muriatic acid and it did not remove these stains!! I am at my witts end with this problem. I had the pool re-tiled by a professional who showed me other pools he has done with no sign of a similar problem.I just installed the best filter,a new pump but i don't want to fill up this pool again untill these stains are gone,or very close to gone,can anyone help me,i would be eternally grateful,Regards,Martin J.Cavanagh.

There are many different things that can cause stains. Different causes require different treatments.

One simple test would be to crush a Vitamin C tablet and put the powder in a sock, get that wet and place it on a stain for 30 seconds to a minute, then rinse the spot off. If the stain lightens significantly then you can treat them with ascorbic acid.

Martin j Cavanagh said:
I had the pool re-tiled by a professional who showed me other pools he has done with no sign of a similar problem.
Are you saying the pool contractor used the exact same tiles in your pool as the other tiled pools you were shown? If not, have the tiles you picked out, ever been used in a pool?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.