Jandy Aqualink RS4 - Doesn't boot

Apr 22, 2008
Central Texas
My sisters pool has a Jandy Aqualink RS4 controller to operate the pump, booster pump, spa, etc. A while back it started reinitializing itself at random times. Now it just hangs during the boot process, usually with ALL the LED's lit and no display on the LCD display. Is there any hope for it? Does anyone repair these boards? Surely there would be good money in doing that. Jandy's prices are way beyond insane. Is there any low budget way to get it chatting with the power center again?

Thanks!

If you are able to chase the com cable from the equipment pad to the indoor panel, It could be that the cable is the source of this problem, check for anything that looks like rats, or other that may have been chewing or otherwise on the cord. Also, check the connections where the wires attach to the buss at each end. Do this before you get new board(s).

Some times this is very easy to check by removing the indoor control panel and bring it out to the outdoor panel and hook it up with a short piece of 2 pair wire (4 wires).
Let us know what happens.

I've already tried bypassing the wiring. I took the control panel outside and wired it directly to the pool center. No joy. :( The control panel hangs during boot with all of the LED's lit and then at random times it will suddenly link up with the pool center panel and everything will work fine, for a while. Then the LED's will all light up again and the whole process starts over. Sometimes the LED's stay lit for hours, sometimes it's just for a few minutes. As a last resort I'm going to try reflowing the solder joints on the board, in hopes that a cold joint is causing all of this flakiness. :(

The pricing on this stuff is insane. Jandy's cost to manufacture the control panel is probably in the area of $25 or less. Yet the lowest price I've found so far is $354. :shock: :shock: :shock: The control relays out in the pool center panel that pool stores sell for $55-70? Jandy's cost on those is around $7 each in quantity. They must have one of the highest markups on the planet. :roll:

The relay for the main pump on this panel sometimes sticks on the "on" position. I found a place online that has decent prices for them, though they have a $35 minimum order. My BIL ordered 3 and it still cost about half of what ONE would have cost at the local pool store.
http://www.onlinecomponents.com/buy/OMR ... B-IN-DC24/ :cool:

Sorry to hear this wont be inexpensive. It may be cost effective to have a pool guy to come out and find out which board is the problem. Good pool repair places have boards on hand and can swap out to find out which is the problem. Rather than buying one to find out it was the other.

Yeah, that's where we are now. Determining which board isn't doing it's part of the communications process. :( Makes me very glad that my pool is controlled by some good old fashioned analog, mechanical Intermatic timers. The last one I replaced cost me a whopping $40. :cool:

Having been in the electronics and computer biz for the last 30 years or so, it really bugs me when I see the prices charged for the new electronic controls. Seriously, are we supposed to believe that a simple, slow, 3-chip controller board should cost more than a new PC? You know, a PC with an Intel dual-core CPU running at several gigahertz, 2 gigs of memory, a 500+ gigabyte hard drive, can accept a multitude of expansion cards, etc.???

The same thing has happened with appliances. Mechanical timers could be purchased for $50-75. Now I see people giving away broken $1,100 Maytag front loading washers because Maytag wants to charge them $600+ to replace a bad controller board. The electronic controllers don't cost any more to make, the companies just gouge people that need the parts. :(

Ain't progress grand?

Somewhat related problem: My Jandy PDA keeps reseting the time and date. About once a week or so, it resets the time, losing current date/time which throws off all of the programmed settings. Any ideas?

Pool clown: you helped me with a Aquapure replacement problem a few weeks back and I never got a chance to say thanks. Thanks! You are a great resource on this board!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Have you checked the backup 9V battery in the main unit? It may be that you have brownouts occasionally and your backup battery is shot.

Using the PDA, select HELP, then DIAGNOSTICS. I recall that there is a report on backup battery status somewhere under DIAGNOSTICS.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.