First timer with questions

Sep 1, 2009
Prairieville, LA
Hello to all!!! I've been lurking for a while and have decided to take the plunge into the BBB method. I ordered a TF100 kit today, but in the meantime I went to my former money pit poolstore for a water analysis until my kit arrives. I've entered the numbers in the Pool Calculater but that's where my questions start, for now :-D.

My numbers:
TC 0
FC 0
PH 8.5
TA 156
Cal 144
CYA 100

They suggested I shock and add Lo 'N Slo but I'd rather start BBB now. Here's a few questions for now.

According to the pool calculator...

1. Should I raise chlorine levels to suggested or shock level?

2. Should I drain 60% of my pool water first and refill, per CYA column, and then add bleach and acid to lower ph?

Thanks for any help,
Jim

Jim, welcome to TFP!!

I would add a gallon of bleach, let it circulate for an hour, then do the drain and refill.

After the pool is topped off, test the pH again and adjust as needed using the pool calculator. 30 min after the pH is adjusted add bleach to sanitize the water. (as long as you have no visible algae and the water is ~ clear, you only need to add enough bleach to be slightly above the minimal suggested level)

This should do for the next couple of days, after which you'll have your TF- 100 and will be able to test your water and know what's going on with your pool :wink: :goodjob:

I recommend you drain first, then adjust PH, THEN shock. That way you aren't wasting chems.

You don't say what kind of pool you have (or if you have water table issues) so you may not be able to drain that much all at once, you may have to do a series of partial drains.

Hi, Jim,

I'm not confident in the pool stores pH number. Most tests only go to 8.0 or 8.2.

Because that is suspect, I would consider not adjusting your pH until you can do your own testing. Do you have a pH test of your own that's not strips? If so, use that and see what it says.

If you don't, I think I would wait on the TF-100.....it will likely be there Thursday.

Either way, I think it's a good idea to do your drain first. (Why 60%? I'd shoot for 50ppm in LA which would be a 50% drain but 60 is Okay, too.)

Then check your pH and, to answer your question, you can do it in one dosage if you are accurate (and know the gallons left in your pool) but it maight be better to sorta' sneak up on your target with one dose and then get it just right with a second dose.

EDIT: Putting in the jug of chlorine immediately is a good idea. I overlooked that but would encourage you to do it.

Hi Jimmy76 and welcome to TFP :wave:

It would be helpful if you listed your pool and equipment info in your sig.

Here's what we need and how to do it:

1) The size of your pool in gallons
2) The type filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge)
3) If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
4) If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
5) If you know, tell us the size pump and the size (flow rate) of your filter.

Information in your signature will show up each time you post.

To add or change your signature, see the User Control Panel link, just below the TFP logo at the top (left side) of the page. Click on Profile and then Edit Signature.

Congrats on ordering the TF100 test kit. It will put you in control of your pool. :goodjob:

You will love the BBB method :-D

The only thing I have are the test strips. I'm trying to drain the pool now and then I'll fill it and check. I can't wait to be on my own and not at the mercy of the pool store. Would the muriatic acid at HD or Lowe's be ok to use or from somewhere else?

Thanks for all the tips. I really appreciate them all.

OK, well I drained 50% and refilled. I'm waiting on my TF100 to arrive,should be tomorrow, but I took another sample to the pool store and the CYA didn't change at all, still 100, nothing really changed at all according to them. So I took a sample to another pool store and they tested as follows

FC 0.0
TC 0.0
CC 0.0
ph 8.0
hardness 20
TA 136
CYA 80

The CYA only dropped 20 according to one store and none at another?! I'm thinking of adding muriatic acid to lower ph and then going to shock levels since I added alot of water. How does that sound?

Thanks,
Jim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, lower your pH first.

Wait a while (suggest 30 mins) for the MA to circulate before adding bleach.

Having the CYA test (or any test) be different between pool stores is the norm.

You will be able to test your CYA very soon with your TF100 :goodjob:

The CYA only dropped 20 according to one store and none at another?!
Most CYA test only go to 100 so your CYA was probably higher.

80ppm is doable but it's at the very high end of doable. I would suggest another 30-50% drain to get down around 50-60 for a much more manageable pool. Or,as an alternative, you could simply let it go as the swim season nears an end and let it reduce slowly down over the winter as the rains refill your pool.

I went back and read some more on "Pool School", boy is this a learning experience! I'm learning as I go and I really appreciate all the help. Would the pool store like me to run a higher CYA number to use more chlorine or am I off? They have never suggested a drain/refill or even mentioned anything to do with CYA but I'm learning it seems like a very important number. In fact, when I asked about it they said it wasn't too high but in range, 30-200 is ideal on their analysis, so 100 was fine to them.

I think I will drain/refill and go from there, ph first and then shocking.

Thanks,
Jim

I've already drained/refilled again and I received my TF100 kit today, so here are my results...

TC 0
ph 8.2
TA 180
CYA 60

So according to The Pool Calculator, I added 52oz of muriatic acid and 4.1-182 oz jugs of bleach. After 1 1/2 hours my FC was a 9 and CC was a 1.5. I shocked to a 20 per the chlorine/CYA chart, where should I go from here? Keep at shock level until no CC?

Thanks
Jim

I've now been on the BBB since Friday and I really like knowing a little of whats going on, a whole lot more learning to go. The TF100 kit is great and I can see where an Apollo stirrer would be nice to have!

I'm adding bleach to shock level, 18, and here are my results as of this moring at 0315:

FC 8
CC .5
ph 7.5
TA 130
CYA 60

The water is very clear.

I'm running my pump 24/7 for now, is this suggested?

I'll keep shocking until a 1 ppm FC loss overnight, is this suggested?

Thanks,
Jim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.