First timer with questions

Jim, ya done real good! :goodjob:

I congratulate you on coming here, listening to us and now being ~ 1/2 step away from a truly trouble free pool :cheers: :-D

This is a great thread! From Tuesday to Sunday, you went from not being able to maintain chlorine to having a healthy reserve by simply following the advice given here (and buying a good test kit) :cool:

You ought be proud of your success! Your reward for coming here to learn the correct way of maintaining a pool will be a less expensive (in both chems and time) pool to maintain :party:

I hope to see more of you here, NOT for pool problems :wink: , but to help others with problems like you had and to post some pics of your beautiful pool :hammer: :lol:

Its kinda fun once you start learning about whats really going on and seeing a change in my pool in just a few short days. Great site with great members!!! My wife said I am like a little kid with my first chemistry set!!! All the help is appreciated and the Pool School is a great resource.

Jim

Hi..I just converted a few weeks ago. You will not regret it. I noticed one thing and this may not be a big deal. I also have a 27' round pool and I was told my gallon amount was 17,000.I see where you have yours at 18,000. You may want to check on that..since it will make a difference in how much bleach you use, or the experts may say it doesn't matter.

Deb

A 27' diameter circle 4' deep holds a smidge over 17,000 gallons. But water level varies over time, and the difference between that and 18,000 is only about 5%. My theory is, you pick a number and see if it works; if you're always overshooting or undershooting the chems, tweak your number so the chems work out right.
--paulr

I just remeasured my pool and it is closer to 17,000 gallons, thanks. I'm still not totally clear on shocking procedures. I've been working/having family events this past weekend so what I've been doing is getting a sample before work, 3:15 am, adding bleach based on the pool calculator to a target of 18 and then doing the same after work around 6:eek:o pm.

I haven't sampled right after adding bleach, instead I sampled and then added. So I've never seen an 18. For example, yesterday at 3:00 am I had FC @ 8 and CC @ .5 and added 2 182 oz. jugs of bleach. At 5:00 pm, I had FC @ 2.5 and CC @ .5 and added 3.2 182 oz. jugs of bleach.

So is this the right way to do it?

Current readings
FC 12
CC .5 (barely)
ph 7.5
TA 130
CYA 55

Thanks
Jim

If you don't test after adding the bleach, you won't know if you reached shock level. So we recommend testing 30-60 minutes after the bleach addition, and adding more bleach to reach shock level if you haven't hit it yet. So say you add enough to reach 18, you test after an hour and you are only at 8, you add more bleach to reach 18, test again after 30-60 min, you're at 14, you add more to reach 18, test again after 30-60 min, and hopefully you've reached it.

What happens often is people aren't adding enough, or frequently enough. They assume they are reaching shock level but their bleach is weaker or whatever, or they calculated the number of jugs wrong, their pool is larger than they think, they calculate using the wrong jug size, etc., and they can't figure out why the shocking isn't working when usually it's just a matter of not actually reaching shock level.

Hope that makes sense.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, you are supposed to hold shock level until the FC level holds overnight. So say tonight after sunset you test and are at 18, don't add any more bleach, then compare that test to the first a.m. test tomorrow (before the sun hits the pool) and then compare the two results. If you lose 1ppm or less you can let the FC drop back down to 'normal' levels. If you lose more than 1ppm you aren't done shocking.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.