IG Pool Newbie - First Closing

Sep 1, 2009
Getting ready to close my IG pool for the first in a house I bought this spring. I have read a lot of the thread, but have three basic questions:

1 - How do I blow the floor drain/skimmer line?

2 - Do I really need to add anti-freeze? I understand I would use a pool grade product, but my wife is not too thrilled with that idea. I live in Northern NJ. So winters are bad, but like too crazy.

3 - It is a salt water pool - do I need to take any special precautions with this - other than removing the cell. Can/should I add any algaecide. I am using a Loop-loc Ultra Loc solid cover with mesh drains - if that makes a differnce.

Thanks in advance for any suggetsions/feedback.

There is need and then there is need. You really ought to use anti-freeze, but if you don't it is only likely that there will be damage, not certain.

Swimming pool antifreeze is the same stuff used in the drinking water pipes in RVs. You can drink it at full strength without any problems. As long as you buy the right kind of antifreeze you will be totally safe.

You can usually blow out the skimmer and return lines with a shop vac or leaf blower, but the main drain gets to be tricky. Many people skip the main drain, which generally works as it is mostly below the frost line. Others fill it with foam rope, which will absorb any ice expansion.

The SWG does not need any special treatment. You do not need to remove the cell, nor do you need to do anything else special. Well, you will need to add salt in the spring, but nothing special during closing.

We have a bottom drain in our AG pool. There is a Female PVC threaded Cap that has an air valve stem coming thru it - we attach that to the plumbing at the ball valve and use an air compressor to blow the air into the bottom drain. Not sure where he purchased it as it was some years ago.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.