Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hairline wall cracks in plaster

1. Back To Top    #1

Hairline wall cracks in plaster

Is this normal to have hairline cracks on the sides of the pool? Also, I have a chip on the bottom that needs to be repaired. Is this something for a DIY'er? My plaster is very white. I have used "pool patch" before and it has come out and it was kind of gray instead of white. Any suggestions on how to make it whiter? The sand in the pool patch kit looks pretty white.
    24,000 gallon chlorine plaster in ground
    Triton II Sand Filter
    Pentair Pool Sweep/Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hairline wall cracks in plaster

A few questions come to mind.

1. How old is your pool (or the last plaster job?)

2. When you describe the cracks as "hairline", do you mean the cracks are almost invisible?

3. How extensive is the coverage of these hairline cracks?
    Eg. all around the sides, just near the stairs, one location etc
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm not sure of the age of the last plaster job. We almost completely drained it last year to try to replace the light (the cord is stuck in the pool wall and can't get it out) and I think this is what caused the cracks. They are almost invisible except when there is algae on the wall. They are mostly on one side of the pool.
    24,000 gallon chlorine plaster in ground
    Triton II Sand Filter
    Pentair Pool Sweep/Cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

Though I don't have any direct experience with hairline plaster cracks (my pool is only 2 Yrs old), perhaps if you posted a picture or two you'll stir up some interest from forum members who can help you address this problem.
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009