Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Apprehensive new Pool Owner.

1. Back To Top    #1

Apprehensive new Pool Owner.

I'm another foreclosed house purchaser. I just closed and am looking at the pool with its equipment like an alien mother-ship has landed in my backyard and demanded I maintain it... I came here, read everything I could find, ordered the TFP Test kit, played JR. chemist and got my results. I still have lots of concern and don't know where to start or if I'm executing this correctly.

Here are my results:
    FC:0.5
    CC:0.5
    TC:1
    PH:8
    TA:120
    CH:300
    CYA:20

Even though there is a SWG it reads there is no salt in the pool...

So if I understand this I would dump:
    80oz of 6% bleach
    54oz of 31.45% 20 baume
    210oz of liquid stabilizer
    275lbs of salt

all into the pool?

This seems a bit scary. Should I use triclor instead of bleach since its side effects look like they'd help? Will dumping all that salt at once break anything? Change the levels? What order do I add stuff if any? Does the 115 degree summer days affect this? Aiyee too many questions.

Also, the pool pump is on 24-7. Seems a bit costly. Is 2 hours enough to leave it on?

Any input would be appreciated...
    11,028 ga. | IG Plaster:Blue Haven Quartz | Jandy 4 Cartridge Pool Filter:CL460;150gpm. | Paramount in-floor system:Pv3. | SmartPure Ozone Generator:SPP70 | Helio-Matic Solar Pool Heater:HM4000c

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Apprehensive new Pool Owner.

Welcome to TFP.

Relax, it's not that bad!

About 8 hour a day is normal for running the pump, but when you have problems, you normally run 24/7 until things clear up.

Put in a jug of 6% bleach to get your chlorine up and give you some breathing room.

Add some muriatic acid, preferably about half what you think you need. I prefer diluting a little acid in a bucket of pool water, then spreading it around the deep end. Wait several hours, retest, then add more acid if required.

I'd recommend you have a pool store test your water for salt. Equipment problems with the SWCG can cause it to read incorrectly.

Read the articles in pool school. I promise you in a few months it will be so trivial to care for the pool that you'll laugh at yourself for being worried.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

What kind of pump is it? If it's a 2 speed running it on low 24/7 is fine.

Don't bother with the liquid stabilizer. Use the granular its much cheaper.

Aquachek salt test strips (available from Tftestkits) are the best way to test salt.

I agree with John, add a jug of bleach and then wait an hour and add the Muratic Acid to get the PH down.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

What does your water look like? How much is left of your swim season?
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

OK i'll get the salt tested, then do as advised.

The pump is a 2 speed, although I have no idea how to tell what speed it is on or how to change that. All the equipment is pretty confusing.

The water looks great and we probably have another good 2-2.5 months of swim season left, but we don't really have winter.

Thanks for the help and support!
    11,028 ga. | IG Plaster:Blue Haven Quartz | Jandy 4 Cartridge Pool Filter:CL460;150gpm. | Paramount in-floor system:Pv3. | SmartPure Ozone Generator:SPP70 | Helio-Matic Solar Pool Heater:HM4000c

6. Back To Top    #6

My 2 speed has a "high/low-Off" toggle switch on the front of the pump - do you see anything like that? There is a discernable difference in the sound between high and low and also the feel of the water coming out of the return is much stronger on high...

If you post some pics of the equipment (use Photobucket.com or similar photohost) we can help you figure things out...
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

7. Back To Top    #7

You can also hire a pool service person to come out for a one-shot orientation session; my guy came out and talked me through all the stuff, took about an hour, $85.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

8. Back To Top    #8

I had the local pool place test the water. It has the same salt it did when it came out of the tap. I bought 200lbs of salt. Should I chuck it in? Is there any fashion in which I should do this?

I also dumped the jug of bleach in and 28oz of the muratic. The levels then came back:
    FC:4
    CC:0
    PH:7.5
    TA:90
    CH:300
    CYA:20

Thanks again