Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Typical pool store conversation

1. Back To Top    #1

Typical pool store conversation

Me: I'll be back later to buy some chlorine jugs.

Pool store: Why would you want to use liquid chlorine? It's only 5% strength.

Me: I thought you sold 10-12% strength.

Pool Store: They are when we get them, but by the time you get it home, it's down to about 5% strength.

Me: hmmmmm... really? That fast?

Pool Store: Better to use the higher 78% strength powder chlorine.

Me: You mean those dichlor and trichlor powder bags?

Pool Store: Yep, right over there.

Me: But I read somewhere that using those bags also increase the CYA in the pool. And my CYA is pretty high already.

Pool Store: How do you figure that?

Me: The powder breaks down into chlorine and leftover CYA.

Pool Store: No, that only applies to the tablets that you use for feeders and floaters.

Me: Aren't the powder and tablets the same chemically?

Pool Store: (confused pause) They may be similar, but the powder bags won't affect the CYA levels. If I were you, I'd get the stronger 78% powder instead of the 5% liquid, save you more time and money.

Me: okie dokie... thanx for the advice.
    22,000 gal in-ground, 3-8ft
    Cartridge filter
    Pebble Tec resurfaced
    Polaris 360

2. Back To Top    #2
    If the 78% bags were cal-hypo, they're right, no CYA. But of course that can potentially lead to it's own unique problems...

3. Back To Top    #3
    TFP Guide

In the Industry

LOL..sad that this is the case.

You should of asked him about anything else, no doubt he would of has the same knowledge base.

4. Back To Top    #4

Only thing I wasn't sure of is the sodium hypo degradation. Can it really get down to 5% strength by the time a customer uses it at home?
    22,000 gal in-ground, 3-8ft
    Cartridge filter
    Pebble Tec resurfaced
    Polaris 360

5. Back To Top    #5

funny.

well, my father-in-law told me this weekend, while in my pool, to never use bleach in a pool as it's a temporary fix.... lol
    My Pool - 18x24 fully setup Cabana, 22x48 gunite/quartz plaster (3-5-3 depth) & 8' spa w/ spill and 5' natural rock waterfall; Hayward DE filter/pumps/heater; Hayward Pro Logic controller; Phantom cleaner. Finished 06/01/07.

RedishConstruction.com

6. Back To Top    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangeball
    If the 78% bags were cal-hypo, they're right, no CYA. But of course that can potentially lead to it's own unique problems...
    I may have read this before, but what are the other problems?
    Brian
    20K IG Gunite w/ raised 7ft spillover spa. 1.5 HP Hayward Northstar pump 425 sq ft Hayward cartridge filter, Colorlogic lights AquaRite SWG AquaLogic PS-8 control
    1hp pump for sheer descent

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by tagprod
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangeball
    I may have read this before, but what are the other problems?
    Cal-hypo adds calcium, and calcium is only reduced via dilution. With high enough calcium, high enough TA and high enough pH, it can cause calcium precipitation which leads to cloudy water and scaling.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Poor Man's Pool
    Doughboy 18 ft round above ground
    7600 gal with center drain
    Pentair sand filter, 1 HP pump
    50 ppm borates
    "I know just enough to be dangerous"
    Pool Calc Ver 1.41 (Excel)

8. Back To Top    #8
    10% and 12% bleach break down to half the initial concentration in perhaps three months at 90 degrees to a year at 75 degrees. If you and the pool store both store it somewhere dark and cool it will still be reasonably strong the whole season.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Just a little more on what Jason said, in direct sunlight the degradation is much more quickly - I've seen bottles of liquid chlor that are ~ clear after ~ a month of sitting out in direct sun
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)