Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: dumb question

1. Back To Top    #1

dumb question

I have a quick question for the "smarter folk" of this board....if my pool is 33 foot round....if I laid the wall out flat, how long would it be? would that be just 33 feet x 2? Yeah, I am horrible at math.

Dan
    33' x 52" Swim and Play Inc. PARAGON AGP. Hayward H200 Heater. Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump. Sta-Rite Cristal Flo T-210WF Sand Filter. Stenner 45M5 chlorine pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: dumb question

It will be pi*d, 3.1416*33=103.7'.
    10' x 20' x 52" In Ground Pool 6,600 gallons, 2" piping, TFTestkit
    24" Sand filter / Espa Silen 0.8 hp pump

3. Back To Top    #3

If Diameter is the distance across, then it would be 33' plus 2 times the depth, plus any overage (maybe a foot on each side?). Therefore a 4' deep pool with a 1 foot overage would be 33'+(4'x2)+(1'x2)=33+8+2=43'.
    Matt
    20,000 gallon, sand filter, IG vinyl

4. Back To Top    #4

Matt, for some reason I don't think your math is correct. my pool is 33 feet in diameter and 52 inches deep..and you are saying that my pool wall laid out flat is only 43' long???? thats only 10 more feet in length than the diameter..I don't think that's right.

I am just really confused, as my packing list for my pool said it comes with 2 cartons that each contain a 33' x 52" wall....I got two of those...so laid you flat with one bolted to the other, wouldn't that be 66' of wall...not 103.7' either?????

call me confused!!!

Dan
    33' x 52" Swim and Play Inc. PARAGON AGP. Hayward H200 Heater. Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump. Sta-Rite Cristal Flo T-210WF Sand Filter. Stenner 45M5 chlorine pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Based on the last description, 66 feet sounds right. When assembled your pool should be about 22 feet across.

Matt was assuming you meant your pool was 33 feet across.
    ----------------------
    20,500 gal gunite pool w/ PebbleTec and infloor cleaning system.
    Sta-Rite System 3 cartridge filter.
    Houston, TX

6. Back To Top    #6

I am sorry, I thought you were looking for the total diameter, but you are looking for circumference. In that case gumarogarc is correct, C=Pi (3.14159265358979323846) times the diameter. So Circumference=3.14159265358979323846 * 33'=103.67'. Unless I am still misunderstanding.

Now I see CurtisT reply, yes, if 22 feet across, the circumference would be 68 1/2 feet.
    Matt
    20,000 gallon, sand filter, IG vinyl

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

103.7 is correct, so diameter x pi is correct. I use this formula to order J channel track for above ground pools. If you really don't believe it take a vinyl tape measure and measure it in the real world
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

8. Back To Top    #8

flyweed, as you can see, there are no dumb questions
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by flyweed
    Matt, for some reason I don't think your math is correct. my pool is 33 feet in diameter and 52 inches deep..and you are saying that my pool wall laid out flat is only 43' long???? thats only 10 more feet in length than the diameter..I don't think that's right.

I am just really confused, as my packing list for my pool said it comes with 2 cartons that each contain a 33' x 52" wall....I got two of those...so laid you flat with one bolted to the other, wouldn't that be 66' of wall...not 103.7' either?????

call me confused!!!

Dan
    It will be pi*d, 3.1416*33=103.7' is correct.

You have a 21 ft dia pool.
    Hotrod30

20 X 40 foot vinyl Borates and Salt Pool
    Rolachem Chlorine Feeder
    Hayward 27 inch sand filter with 80 lbs of pea gravel
    Jacuzzi Splash Pak SP55 DE filter in parallel
    Pentair VF3050 pump

10. Back To Top    #10

But Dan is saying its 33 ft dia. How can it be only 21 ft ?
    Les
    Don't have a pool right now. Just sharing what I have learned over the years!
    Helpful Links:
    Pool School,Pool Calculator,Cl/CYA Shock Chart,TF Test Kit
    Doing BBB and loving it!

11. Back To Top    #11

Yes...my pool is the Swim and Play Inc Paragon 33 foot diameter pool..it's not 22 or 21ft in diameter..it's 33ft.

The pool came with 2 rolls of metal wall. in the "packing list" it says each piece of wall is 33ft in length. this would give me a flat length of wall 66 feet long right? and when put into a circle (like a pool) it would be half of that, so 33ft diameter.

This is where I am confused as to, if this pool is 33ft in diameter how could the wall length be 3.14(pi) x 33???

Now you can see what I am confused.

the pool came with 44 pieces of rail (22 called for on the bottom rail and 22 on the top rail) each rail is 54 1/4" long according to the instructions they don't go butt to butt, but there is a gap between each one once they are installed into the top or bottom plates.

Dan

12. Back To Top    #12

The circumference, or length of the wall is equal to pi times the diameter.

If the diameter of your pool is supposed to be 33ft, your wall length has to be 3.14*33ft or 103.6ft.

If your wall length is 66ft, the diameter has to be 66ft divided by 3.14 or 21ft
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

13. Back To Top    #13

I vote for John T....diameter x 3.14

your two cartons just happen to have the 100 or so feet of wall length split in two
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

14. Back To Top    #14

Me thinks that you better contact the folks that you bought the pool from! Sounds like they either shipped you the wrong pool, short shipped the wall, or their description on the packing list is misleading. What does the description of the liner say?
    Mike
    Intex Ultra 18' x 52" AG 6,981 Gal.
    3 - 2'x20' solar panels
    Hayward XStream 1500 Cart Filter
    Hayward 1-1/2 HP 2-speed Superpump
    Aquabot Pool Rover
    2-Softub 300 hot tubs (yup just got one for the lake)
    TF Test Kit Doing the BBB for 7 years
    Medota Heights,Minnesota

15. Back To Top    #15

I think that your packing list is stating it wrong or you're reading it wrong.

Exactly how does the line read?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by flyweed
    Yes...my pool is the Swim and Play Inc Paragon 33 foot diameter pool..it's not 22 or 21ft in diameter..it's 33ft.

The pool came with 2 rolls of metal wall. in the "packing list" it says each piece of wall is 33ft in length. this would give me a flat length of wall 66 feet long right? and when put into a circle (like a pool) it would be half of that, so 33ft diameter.

No. It's dia times pi.

This is where I am confused as to, if this pool is 33ft in diameter how could the wall length be 3.14(pi) x 33???

Now you can see what I am confused.

the pool came with 44 pieces of rail (22 called for on the bottom rail and 22 on the top rail) each rail is 54 1/4" long according to the instructions they don't go butt to butt, but there is a gap between each one once they are installed into the top or bottom plates.

22 pieces times 54 1/4 inches = 1193.5 inches divided by 12 (inches in a foot) = 99.46 foot

Dan

That you have 99.5 feet of top rail and 66 feet of side wall should tell you something is wrong.
    Hotrod30

20 X 40 foot vinyl Borates and Salt Pool
    Rolachem Chlorine Feeder
    Hayward 27 inch sand filter with 80 lbs of pea gravel
    Jacuzzi Splash Pak SP55 DE filter in parallel
    Pentair VF3050 pump

17. Back To Top    #17

I think the numbers are wrong on the shipping/parts list. I have the pool wall and bottom rail up currently and it is indeed 33 feet across (Diameter) So I think the number just corresponds to a 33 foot pool..not that each piece is 33 feet long. That's my conclusion anyway.

Like I said, the wall is currently up and waiting for the liner to be installed, and it is 33ft round..I just wanted to know how long the wall is if spread out in a straight line. I think I'll take my 120ft soft tape measure today and wrap it around the pool and see what number I come up with.

Dan