TFP Expert
Apr 4, 2007
SW Indiana
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Folks, I'm getting ready to install fence around my pool in the next week or so. After that, I plan to put in some type of landscape edging to hold decorative rock for the landscaping area on both sides of the fence. I've looked quite a bit and not really had much luck.

My thinking was to keep it slightly below the level of the pool deck so the rock would be retained between the edging and the edge of the deck. I looked into the molded in place, stamped and stained concrete edging, which looks great in the pictures, but the jobs they had me look at were not so good. The edging followed the slope of the ground, which in a few areas on each job looked like heck. I'd like something I could mow up against fairly easily too. Any suggestions?

The Mermaid Queen said:
Is there grass between the deck and the edging? If not, could you just use the deck edge as the edging on that side? half as much material to buy/install/maintain...

I think I may bot be getting a clear picture in my head...

There won't be any grass. I plan to use the deck edge as one side of the edging.

A popular edging around here is the giant pea-gravel... like 1" across and larger. But it probably is not as convenient for mowing around, and if your beds are already 'mulched' with rock... Another choice are the flat asphalt strips, about 4" wide. Impermeable to grass, look like dirt or black mulch. But again, since your beds are going to be rock...
Sorry, I am of no help at all!

SeanB said:
Do you happen to have any brick leftover from your home, assuming it's brick? I know most builders will leave you with some after the house is built. I've got a pile in my garage looking for something to use it for.

I do have some extra brick, but not enough to do the job. It was discontinued shortly after we built. Had planned on brick columns for the fence, but when I tried to buy more, no luck.

In the desert, the cement curbing is common. I had 300'+ installed in my front yard and will haev close to 500' installed in my rear yard next year to edge the grass area. If the example that the installer showed you did not look good, maybe you should look at another installer to see how theirs is finished off. I selected the product since it is durable, can have a lower mower edge to it and had a uniform "hard-scape" gray color to it.

I would say that if you want to mow up to it, it would have to follow the contour of the ground, probably with the ability to put the wheels of the mower right on it, you should use bricks, then for the grass that will inevitably creep through a bit of occasional RoundUp should take care of that. Anything that sticks up will require weed whacking, a chore I despise, I generally try to make my yard not need it , except for edging every other time.

From_Arizona said:
In the desert, the cement curbing is common. I had 300'+ installed in my front yard and will haev close to 500' installed in my rear yard next year to edge the grass area. If the example that the installer showed you did not look good, maybe you should look at another installer to see how theirs is finished off. I selected the product since it is durable, can have a lower mower edge to it and had a uniform "hard-scape" gray color to it.
\

I wish I could look t another installer. They have exclusive territories, and the only one around here is the one I looked at. I like the mower edge idea because it eliminates weed eating for the most part.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.