Air leak?

Jun 29, 2013
Bethlehem, pa
Hey all, I’ve been slamming for 7 days now. Made decent progress so far.

Started with a green pool and a ton of debris. Most is gone. Although I’m still running my robot two times a day to be sure since I can’t see the bottom.

I’ve maintained fc at 24 based on my cya of 50-60 range. Fc is not dropping much.

Cc is .08
Ta - 110
Ch - 250
Ph- 8.2

Now that you have some background on where I’m at with things. I’m wondering if my filter is what is slowing me down?

I attached a pic from the returns. It’s blowing out a white substance.

I got a new o-ring in the pump basket cover. Everything’s tight, no water leaks, and water levels are fine.

Am I overlooking something? Or is this just part of the slam process?

Do I need to backwash more often?

Thanks guys!

Ps- I attached a pic, hopefully it’s easily viewable.

Attachments

• 227A4ECE-59D6-4FDC-8083-982EA2BD8A8F.jpg
    227A4ECE-59D6-4FDC-8083-982EA2BD8A8F.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 107
Hummmm. There are a few "unknowns" about your pool that make it tricky. So let's start with these:
- Where are you located? Can you update your profile location please?
- Was your pool winterized? If so, by you or someone else? Are you just now opening yourself?
- Do you know of any chemicals added to the water previously other than muriatic acid or bleach? Anything?
- Do you know the history on that sand? Have you ever opened it up and inspected it or done a deep clean? Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter
- Unrelated to the green, but when you installed the new O-ring, did you lube it?
- Which test kit are you using? Can you add it to your signature as well please?

Let's go from there and we'll see what we can come up with.

Appreciate the help!

Location updated... Bethlehem, pa- hour north of philly.

Yes, I winterized and yes now opening myself as well.

I added few bags of shock initially. Let the pump run, tested, then began the slam process. After I got the stabilizer in. I added the ta, ch and all that.

I replaced the sand about 3 or 4 years ago. I’ve never done a deep cleaning. That would probably help.

I did lube the o ring- using magic lube.

I’m using the tf100. I Love that test kit.

Please let me know if I missed anything or can provide additionl info.

Everything you said sounds good. No algaecides or antifreeze this past winter?

Do you have a pool light? The larger type with a niche behind? Might need to pull that out now as well to clean. Anything else in the pool that could hide algae?

What about a main drain? If you have one, any chance there's junk down there stuck on it or in it? Does raking or brushing reveal ANY more large debris in the pool?

I did add the antifreeze. I think one gallon.

No algaecides added.

I don’t have a pool light. I’ve done a decent job brushing. Additionally, brushing doesn’t reveal additional large debris.

I’ll have to double check around the ladder- which isn’t removable and brush some more. I know exactly where the main drain is and I’ll try to Brush around that too.

That deep clean should be done. Just got done reading the article and I should be able to get that done rather quickly.

Great. That one gallon shouldn't be an issue in your 22K pool. So looking back at post #1, did you lower the pH before starting the SLAM? We know it reads high once you crank-up the FC, but thought I should ask. Other than that, I can't think of any other inhibiting factors. As long as you are confident about that CYA reading, the FC of 24, along with daily brushing and backwashing should do the trick. If the water doesn't start to change color in the next day or so, you might consider that deep clean to ensure the water is going through the sand well. Stay with it and let us now how it goes.

So last time we left off, we had a few things to follow-up on such as:
- You were going to do a deep clean correct? Did you ever get a chance to do that? The sand is relatively new, and as long as you didn't add any pool store junk to it, it should be fine.
- Is there any change to the water (color or transparency) from the first pic above?
- You mentioned getting better on the backwashing after the sand cleaning. Are you backwashing everyday?
- What is your "clean" baseline pressure and your typical dirty (25% increase) pressure?
- Can you see the drain yet? It would really be good to make sure there's no junk stuck in, around, or under it.
- I think you should post your most recent CYA, FC, and CC for us. The last CC reading I saw of yours (1.5) does indicate some activity in your water.
- What's the weather been like in your area? Philly getting lots of rain? I ask because we actually need some good days of sunlight to help with the oxidation.
- Nothing else in the pool but a ladder right? Any chance those steps come apart just to clean inside? Don't break anything trying, just wanted to make sure. Some do.

I'd like to start there and see what makes sense or what we might need to focus our efforts on.

Thanks TS!

Yes I deep cleaned. Noticed a broken piece of plastic in the multi port so I replaced the entire unit. Thought that had to be my problem with the filtering issue but water clarity has been the same for two days. Last year I added some de. Two years ago I added floculant. No other crappy pool store chemicals since.

The water transparency slightly got better. But no improvements over the past two days.

- I’m backwashing daily. Clean baseline is around 12. It hasn’t climbed much in between the backwashes.

I can’t see the drain. But I know exactly where it is and I’m scrubbing it good. Same goes for the ladder. The steps are plaster and also scrubbed pretty good. I can’t see past the 2nd step.

Fc 20
Cc 1.5
Cya 30
Ph 7.5

Yesterday was 90 and sunny. Today and two days ago - cloudy. Little drizzle but not much.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would’ve added right to the skimmer. I don’t recall vacuuming after?
I'm beginning to agree with you now and think the sand could be a problem. Generally, floc is added to the water in "circulate" mode only, then after circulating for a while the pump is shut off while the floc coagulates everything and it settles overnight. It's then vacuumed "to waste" the next day without ever coming in contact with the sand. In your case, it sounds like the floc went to the sand and I suspect the sand lost its ability to filter properly.

I don’t remember following that process which could be the source of my problem.

Ironically. I took a trip to the pool store to pickup sand. They are good guys I just believe they don’t know any better. Which is scary. The manager was insisting I use floc and gave me a bottle for FREE. Instead of selling me sand. He doesn’t know my entire backstory nor do I share since they always have a product to sell me. I took the bottle. Bought the sand anyway. To get him to ease off, I told him I’ll try the floc then replace the sand if the floc doesn’t work. I won’t be using the floc. But it was nice of him.

The funny part is upon concluding our convo. I look at him and ask. Right in the skimmer? He says yes.. ����*♂️

TS, sand has been replaced as of two days ago. Redid some of my plumbing because I had a few leaks. Replaced the pump lid just to be sure.

Maintained fc At appropriate level.

Today’s reading is

13 fc
1cc
7.2 ph
30 cya

Still cloudy and can’t see past 2nd step. Backwashing and scrubbing 3x a day.

My fc is holding but can’t get cc under 1.

In regards to the tf100 cc testing process. It takes two drops of the r-0871 to turn sample clear again. Resulting in my cc reading of 1.

Is there a more accurate test process?

This has been extremely frustrating and I’m ready to throw in the towel.

Everything you noted above is spot-on perfect, and I suspect the change of sand will help considerably. As for the CCs, that means something is definitely being worked in that water - either chemically or there is a chunk of something vacuuming/brushing hasn't been able to get yet. Curious, how did the old sand look?

You can go in the water as long as it is not above the SLAM level. Normally we would not recommend swimming when you can't see clearly or at least to the bottom in parts, but in your case, it's not so much swimming as it is inspecting and clearing the bottom right? So if you need to wade in the water or even do a blind drop down to brush and inspect things, you can, just be careful there are no snapping turtles in there. :shark:

Not seeing the sand pic though. :(

Cc still at 1. Continuing to slam. But not seeing any improvements in clarity at all.

At what point do I drain and refill?

Trying to attach the pic of sand again.. using the mobile version. Maybe it’s easoer through Tapatalk app?

- - - Updated - - -

There we go. Here’s another...

- - - Updated - - -

One more

Attachments

• 5CFE580F-9893-43AD-B923-F3D185BC104C.jpg
    5CFE580F-9893-43AD-B923-F3D185BC104C.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 52
  • CFED66E9-3BA4-441E-B7BA-392449F5622F.jpg
    CFED66E9-3BA4-441E-B7BA-392449F5622F.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 51
I don't see anything obviously wrong with this new batch of sand. So let's remember that if the old batch hasn't working well because it had floc in it, this new batch has only been filtering for a couple days. But here's my other concern - water clarity. While the filter is designed to catch algae, it can't kill it. So by now I would expect to start seeing some transition in the color, more from the dingy grey a few days ago to the more cloudy blue color before it gets clear. I'm not seeing that yet, are you? If not, there's some very basic happening:
- Either there is debris/algae somewhere you haven't found yet
- The CYA reading is off (low) thereby resulting in a low and ineffective FC level
- Or previous products added over time other than bleach and acid are still being oxidized by the bleach which would be indicative of an elevated CC level.

Whether or not to do a water exchange is certainly your call. We want you to be happy and start your swim season. You can evaluate the cost of water when doing a partial water exchange (let's say 50% for example), as compared to a few bottles of bleach to maintain the SLAM. If the delay is attributable to other chemicals in the water, it could help move things along faster. If there's something organic in the pool, it may not help all that much. If you do a water exchange, you probably know you'll have to re-start the SLAM to help rid the remaining water, plumbing, and filtration of any residual material that has been causing all of this anyways.

I've coached many people through tough SLAMs, and some are very unique. Usually it's because the owner simply wasn't aware of something (physical or chemical) that was impeding the SLAM progress. That happens. But in a standard body of water, with the proper FC/CYA ratio and nothing else in there, algae simply cannot survive over time. Certainly the more green algae the longer the transition, but it still happens. So I'll let you think about it for a few. Consider your options and let us know if you have any other questions. We'll be glad to help anyway we can.

I really appreciate all you’re guidance.

I think I’ll continue the slam without replacing the water.

Here’s a pic of what I’m looking at now.

Also, I needed more LC so I went to pool store. Had them run a water test.

See my results compared to theirs.

Me:
11fc
1 cc
30 cya

Theirs:
10.8 fc
.4 cc
56 cya

I reassessed my cya test and since so subjective, I could make a case that my cya is 40.

I typically fill to a line, Then view. So fill to 50 then check it, fill to 40 then check it.

I guess going forward, I’ll add LC based on cya of 40.

There’s no way it’s at 56 like pool store says.

Attachments

• 644E55C1-E7C6-4EE6-AFEB-5199DAE88D93.jpg
    644E55C1-E7C6-4EE6-AFEB-5199DAE88D93.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 50

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.