Refinishing / Restoring a Fiberglass Pool Slide

gkruske, your idea for a water source sounds OK. Water pressure is an issue - too much, and the water is going to spray all over.

If you're willing to add fresh water when you use the slide, you could run a hose to the slide.

I got a replacement nozzle kit that has the hose attachment with it. Always an option, but I would rather not send our nasty tap water into a well-balanced pool. I guess I'm picky. I'll see what happens with my original idea, and will resort back to the hose fitting if necessary.

I spent a good 10 minutes on the phone with SR Smith. They won't touch an Aquaslide n' Dive with a ten foot pool pole, but they did acknowledge that most parts are interchangeable (SR Smith bought the parts inventory from ASnD when they went under). I just called them to see if the footprint was identical to the Rogue, and it is, so I downloaded the footprint calcs from SR Smith.

I have a sport pool, so proper placement is key, and I can manage it.

This is a great thread & i have learned alot about the slide refinishing, i am wondering this question is for any of you who have used the interlux perfection if you primed before you applied the product & if you mixed only part of it for your 1st coat & then later mixed again for your second coat? thanks again :)

I may have to try this as well. I currently have a little brass ball valve teed off my auto fill line to allow flow adjustment. The amount of freshwater added has to be less than the water lost from climbing in and out of the pool.

Curious how the tap water could be "nasty" what else do you use to top off the pool?

I usually have to crank the hose on in the pool every month or so, for about 30 minutes. I guess my biggest concern is my kids cranking it on and not shutting the hose off. Plus, our tap water really IS nasty. I have filters on every single faucet in the house, including the icemaker. Tastes like I'm drinking rusty water.

Anyway, I've done some more research about this deal. Not going with Interlux Perfection. I contacted Interlux, and they mentioned that this product does not wear as well as a legitimate gel coat. So, re-application would be needed every few years. So, dug around a bit, and found some dude who sells his gel coat product on ebay. MAX GPE is the product. 2 part system, and would cost less than Interlux. Interlux said primer would be needed, preferably their primer. 2-3 coats. MAX GPE needs no primer, enough product for 3 coats, plus some leftover.

I paid 60 bucks for the MAX GPE system, and will get started in the next week or so, hopefully. Interlux would have been 50 for their system, plus another 30 for their primer.

Wonder if the OP ever got his slide done?

harleysilo said:
I should probably start a new thread but what is the minimum depth needed for a slide like those pictured in this thread?
If you google for swimming pool design standards, you might be able to find the answer you're looking for. Sometimes standards are specific to states or towns, so NSPI-1 might not have the answer that's right for you.

In my case, the slide spits you out into water that's about 4-feet deep.

Learned that slide anchor flanges are generic.....news to me, and good news at that. 1.9" is the standard for most deck equipment.

If you're looking for the flanges, I bought 4 plastic flanges for 65 bucks, concrete anchors included. Best price I had found. Noticed most places sell the flanges and concrete anchors separately.

Edit: My fault....got them from poolsupplies.com, if you're looking to buy. Pricing on the flanges are WILD....65 bucks being low, average about 180.....but Leslie's. Holy cow. 300 dollars for 4 pieces of plastic and some bolts. Again, generic part.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
GREAT THREAD and GREAT SITE.....

We have a inground gaunite pool. not sure of the gallons but it has a CCP420 cartridge filter system.

I just bought a slide from craigslist and turns out to be the same one as all the others above. I paid 200 and its really not in bad shape but after reading this thread and seeing the outcome I am going to refinish it before I install it. The last owner also gave me a gallon of 2 part epoxy primer and a gallon of 2 part epoxy paint. Cant remember the make of the paint but I do remember it was made for pools.

I will post before, during and after pics. If all goes well it might be a good side gig for a few extra bucks.....lol

Thanks all, I am glad I found this site.

Bill

You'll probably beat me to it, Bill. I was planning on opening the pool this weekend and getting started on the slide, but it's going to be 60. Hard to get in pool mood when it's 60!

Nice to see these antiques get some new life in them. I'll post some before/after shots as well.....

Good luck, and welcome to TFP!

mnbr2001 said:
This is a great thread & i have learned alot about the slide refinishing, i am wondering this question is for any of you who have used the interlux perfection if you primed before you applied the product & if you mixed only part of it for your 1st coat & then later mixed again for your second coat? thanks again :)

Hey there-
We did not prime prior to the product. We did mix half and then mixed again for the second coat. It does get harder to use with the second coat as it seems to be thicker.

Greetings. Thanks for such a useful thread. I'm thinking of repainting our slide with the Interlux Perfection as above. I notice its been a couple years since you did yours. I was wondering how the paint is still holding up? Has it maintained its finish? Do you leave it out in winter? Do you still recommend the Interlux? Thanks.

gkruske said:
I usually have to crank the hose on in the pool every month or so, for about 30 minutes. I guess my biggest concern is my kids cranking it on and not shutting the hose off. Plus, our tap water really IS nasty. I have filters on every single faucet in the house, including the icemaker. Tastes like I'm drinking rusty water.

Anyway, I've done some more research about this deal. Not going with Interlux Perfection. I contacted Interlux, and they mentioned that this product does not wear as well as a legitimate gel coat. So, re-application would be needed every few years. So, dug around a bit, and found some dude who sells his gel coat product on ebay. MAX GPE is the product. 2 part system, and would cost less than Interlux. Interlux said primer would be needed, preferably their primer. 2-3 coats. MAX GPE needs no primer, enough product for 3 coats, plus some leftover.

I paid 60 bucks for the MAX GPE system, and will get started in the next week or so, hopefully. Interlux would have been 50 for their system, plus another 30 for their primer.

Wonder if the OP ever got his slide done?

Just wondering if you started and do you have any pictures??? I will put the slide I have up for the summer and make the refinishing a winter project. So I am interested in them MAX GPE

I've put on coat 2 of 3. Pretty neat stuff. I had them color it for me (no charge). Mixes up just like epoxy, so you have to be ready to hit the ground running, since it has a pot life.

What I've learned is that the slide has to be REALLY clean. I powerwashed prior just to get all the dirt and oxidization off. Swabbed down with acetone, and starting rolling. The product lays down really flat, and takes about a full day to cure (I'm in the midwest, and humidity is about 13905%, so it might be a shorter cure time in less humidity).

Although pretty smooth, I have some spots where there is still evidence of contaminants. Kerosene is the way to go to get this removed.

So, this is where I'm at. Need to rub down with kerosene, sand again with 300 grit, and lay down coat 3.

Stuff appears to be tough as nails, dries to a glass-like finish.

I'm armed with before/after pics, so I'll post those up when I'm done.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.