DIY Solar Pool Heater Idea

Charles

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 19, 2008
I am looking at building a simple, CHEAP, solar heater for my ABG pool. But I am no genius when it comes to fluid dynamics. I plan to install a valve on my current 1.5" PVC in order to shunt it off to multiple half inch poly tubing (used for drip irrigation).

misterlandscaper_2063_10474414

Could I just use a PVC manifold
picserve.cgi

add adapters to connect 100' of tubing to each, and another manifold on the other end to send to the pool? That's a lot of distance to push fluid, right? Or should I have more but shorter runs?

Until this year we were using the same diameter pipe for our solar system. The only difference was that the pipe was enclosed inside a box with a lid made out of old slide glass doors. It worked fine, just make sure you use a solar cover as well and have a valve to control the flow to the solar pipe.

X-PertPool said:
Until this year we were using the same diameter pipe for our solar system. The only difference was that the pipe was enclosed inside a box with a lid made out of old slide glass doors. It worked fine, just make sure you use a solar cover as well and have a valve to control the flow to the solar pipe.
I plan to have box with a radiant barrier on the bottom, then black plastic, the tubes, and topped with window glass.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.