Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DIY Solar Pool Heater Idea

1. Back To Top    #1

DIY Solar Pool Heater Idea

I am looking at building a simple, CHEAP, solar heater for my ABG pool. But I am no genius when it comes to fluid dynamics. I plan to install a valve on my current 1.5" PVC in order to shunt it off to multiple half inch poly tubing (used for drip irrigation).

Could I just use a PVC manifold

add adapters to connect 100' of tubing to each, and another manifold on the other end to send to the pool? That's a lot of distance to push fluid, right? Or should I have more but shorter runs?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DIY Solar Pool Heater Idea

You'd get very poor efficency. What you want are many, many very small tubes to maximize water contact with the tubes.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Until this year we were using the same diameter pipe for our solar system. The only difference was that the pipe was enclosed inside a box with a lid made out of old slide glass doors. It worked fine, just make sure you use a solar cover as well and have a valve to control the flow to the solar pipe.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    You'd get very poor efficency. What you want are many, many very small tubes to maximize water contact with the tubes.
    I know. But I cannot think of a material that will do that other than a commercial kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by X-PertPool
    Until this year we were using the same diameter pipe for our solar system. The only difference was that the pipe was enclosed inside a box with a lid made out of old slide glass doors. It worked fine, just make sure you use a solar cover as well and have a valve to control the flow to the solar pipe.
    I plan to have box with a radiant barrier on the bottom, then black plastic, the tubes, and topped with window glass.