ladder/steps

Jul 16, 2008
smithfield VA
Trying to get the pool opened, fighting leaves, have water from swamp to cloudy blue now so making progress, YAY!

However... I'm looking at the plastic steps/ladder and I don't want to put it back in my water. They are old and thus the plastic is not smooth anymore, I can literally see the dried, hibernating, green in the "pores" of the plastic. And I know that all that is just going to wake up and BLOOM once it is in my water. Even without the pores in the plastic, these steps have so many nooks and crannies that I feel like they are a great hiding place for algae all summer long.

So...
1. is there a way to get the steps TRULY clean, short of soaking them in a bleach bath (Which i would but don't have anything big enough)
2. If I decide to bite the bullet and buy new (or new to me, used) ladder, is there anything I should look for or avoid?
3. We are all about homemade. Is there a way to make a homemade ladder sturdy enough to handle a 250Lbs person? I'm thinking PVC, but what about the slip factor on round rungs? rungs sturdy enough to hold the weight would be so thick that they wouldn't be good grip.

This is for an above ground metal frame with the "sling" type liner, no walls. The steps up are wooden (the vain promise of future deck) then the plastic ladder screws in and you go down them into the water.

Thanks.

You can spray bleach on the steps and let it sit for a little while then brush with a stiff brush. Then turn them over and do it again. I love DIY but this is not an area I would try it with as I would be VERY worried about the slipping on the round PVC pole like you talk about.

Kim:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.