Cloudy Frustrations

jbeelz

Jul 13, 2016
Syracuse NY
Hello TFP!

First let me say this site has been fantastic for a first time pool owner! I typically like to DIY everything I come across and the pool has been no exception. This is our third season opening and operating the pool.

The first year we had our pool. I read everything I could find on this site and ordered my test kit before even taking the cover off the pool the first spring. CYA was zero so I added a sock of cyanuric and then balanced ph and upped TA to 80-100ish. Used the SLAM procedure (With walmart bleach 6%) to get the pool from a green lagoon to amazingly clear blue in about a weeks time. we enjoyed and maintained the pool all summer without much trouble. I used the "Pool Pal" android app for all my chem calculations.

Note: I did think that we had a little mustard algae that first year but a little brushing and vacuuming and it didn't really bother us. I attempted the SLAM and then mustard algae levels towards the end of the season but I'm not sure I totally eradicated it. It was nice and clear blue when I closed it for the season.

Last Year we opened our pool quite later (early June, due to uncooperative weather and other priorities). I did all the same procedures as the year before, CYA zero so broke out the sock again, balanced the ph, upped TA to 80 and got the SLAM going. I decided I would try to SLAM and then go right up to mustard SLAM given what I encountered the year before just in case. This time the water changed from the green lagoon to nice and blue, kept adding liquid chlorine (10% as I found walmart carries this as an alternative to the bleach from the year before, slightly cheaper yay!). I kept adding chlorine like what I felt was excessive but it would not clear up even after a few weeks.

CC was typically between 0 and .5 when I checked. FC seemed to always be under SLAM when I tested so I would add and add (typically More than my calculations would say is necessary). I was testing soo much I ran out of DPD half way through the initial SLAM and had to reorder (start over blah!) I finally got it clear at one point weeks later but the whole summer was pretty lack luster here so the pool maintenance to pool enjoyment ratio was pretty darn low. I just pretty much gave up late august and closed it early September with the water already turning back to it's green lagoon state.

This year
got the cover off as early as I possibly could! liquid chlorine at the ready, CYA and trusty sock soaking in front of the return, Balance the ph, upped TA to 80 and here we go with the SLAM! First week was the same as the previous year Green lagoon to blue right away, kept the SLAM up for a few days (10-12 FC as I assumed my CYA was zero like every year while I waited for it to dissolve). CC kept testing below .5 (almost 0) and while It was hard to get an accurate OCLT (My schedule is all over the place) it seemed like it was loosing very little overnight.

After a few days (2-3) of working on this I started reading and reading ... and reading.. about cloudy water. I was thinking the SLAM had been completed (other than of course the cloudiness). At this point it seemed like it might be an issue with my sand filter just not clearing it up. I had never taken my filter apart and found instructions on cleaning the sand with a garden hose, just poking it in and running it and letting all the crud spill out the top. One evening (a the first week) I opened it up and cleaned it for quite a while with the hose like I saw. It did look like a lot of stuff came out. Great! Maybe that's it?

After the filter deep clean I let it go for another week. Kept FC at around 4 since CYA looked to get up to around 30 where I like it. Kept a skimmer sock on my basket as well to help it out. Water stayed nice and blue but still cloudy!!!!

Ok,.. back to SLAM there HAS to be something in there still right!? I probably didn't do the SLAM long enough or get FC high enough the first time. Mid Week, last week I got it going, CYA looks like it is a bit higher than 30 now so I decide to call it 40 and proceed with SLAM at 16 FC.

Sooo much chlorine! I have been fighting this for days (day 3 currently)! I keep adding and testing like a maniac. I'm afraid I'm going to run out of DPD powder again lol! During the day I've been testing every few hours or as often as I can. I add more than my calculations show I need and every-time I test I always need more, more, more! It seems like I loose very little overnight but during the day I feel like the sun is just drinking it down. I'm pretty sure I've done my CYA tests (multiple times) correctly and at over 30 I wouldn't think it would disappear soo fast during the day.

I'm still going... frustrated and disappointed that I'm 3 weeks in and still cloudy blue water. I haven't even bothered with an OCLT lately as I'm just waiting for that moment when the water really starts to show a change for the better (clearing up). Sometimes I think it's starting to look better but I think that's more just me hoping that all this work is really paying off! :p I even changed back to the walmart 6% bleach (like I used the first year) instead of the 10% liquid chlorine as a test, thinking maybe the liquid chlorine is the cause or is maybe outdated and weak.

Anyway, that's where I'm at and I apologize for the long post. From my reading I think my solution is just to be persistent with the SLAM (If I don't go broke buying chlorine/bleach) but other than that I'm running out of ideas. Maybe a total sand swap is in order? We have had it just these 3 seasons but I bet it's original from the previous owner (could be 8-10yrs old?)

If anyone has any other recommendations I would be more than grateful to listen and try them!

One last thing, did I just get really lucky that first year? One week or so and we had a perfect pool! I think that is what has been more aggravating than anything lol.

Thanks for reading and please find latest test details below.

FC 13.5 (added about 100oz 6% bleach even though calculations say 77oz to bring to 16ppm FC)
CC <.5 (barely barely turns pink on my 10ml test)
TA 80 (has been pretty steady after I raised it to this the first week. My fill water is pretty high TA so I typically let that raise it for me throughout the summer)
CYA 40 (dot gets pretty blurry around this mark but still there. totally disappears about halfway between 40 and 30)
CH 70 (the one time I tested it this year just in case I typically don't pay much attention to this)

Thanks!

Jon

Thanks for the vote of confidence jblizzle. :)

I think most my frustrations lie in the fact that the first year wen't so quick and painless. Also, the amount of Chlorine so far this year! lol

I've considered the whole DE route but I typically like to keep things as simple as possible if I can.
With that said.... If these last few years are any indication of how long it's going to take to clear up,.. I might have to reconsider! Every day of swimming weather is precious here in upstate NY hehe

Anyway, if this might be just a case of a sand filter taking it's sweet time,... (we're on 3 weeks 24x7) do you think it would be advisable to forget about the (crystal clear water) portion of the SLAM process and just really focus on getting a OCLT of <1ppm? At least then if it's still cloudy I can rest assured that it's just a filter/time issue and I won't waste $$ on potentially unneeded chlorine.

Thanks so much for your response.

If your cc's are low and you're able to pass the oclt that generally means that you have killed everything in the pool. Then you're really waiting on the filter to do his job.

Excellent, thanks!

Will finish out today and see if I can pass the OCLT tonight.

Additional question on the OCLT. Since I am a bit of a night owl it's sometimes tough to get it tested in the AM before the sun hits it.
Is there any general rule about how long at night between tests and <1ppm drop would be valid to pass the OCLT?
I imagine longer is likely better but since we are only looking like 9-10 of night currently would 6hrs after the sun goes down be valid? Sometimes I can be up after 3am :p

Either way, thanks again. As soon as I'm happy with the OCLT I'll be letting that FC drop and heading out to buy/try some DE!

Well looks like I'm getting close!

The Good news is I was able to test at dawn, about 8.5hrs after my evening test.
I lost about 1.5ppm FC overnight (16.5 down from 18)

The Not so great news, I am dangerously low on FAS/DPD reagent.
I was soo concerned about the powder I didn't even realize my dropper was about empty (doh!).
Had enough from my XL bottle to about half refill the taylor bottle.
Ordered another XL kit immediately from tftestkits.net

I'm hoping I can get away with dosing high with chlorine today and testing less frequently.
Since I'm pretty close, crossing fingers that the OCLT passes tonight (and I have enough reagent for the tests)!

In the end, I'm thinking my cloudiness is just a combination of the incomplete SLAM and the slow filter.
Picking up some DE today and I have some test strips to ball park the FC at normal levels until my reagent arrives (hopefully early this week).

This is going to be the week it all turns around! I can feel it!!!

Thanks for all the advice so far. :)

UGH!! Missed the OCLT this morning and couldn't get to the pool until mid day!

FC was down 9.5ppm (12.5ppm down from 22ppm the evening prior). It was about 1pm so the pool had been baking in the sun for quite a while.

I'm not sure it would have mattered anyway as I'm pretty much out of DPD reagent so I'd be flying blind if I continued the SLAM any longer.

CYA 40

Yesterday I kept it as high as I could (estimating) based on the morning test, afternoon tests and the rate of consumption of the previous few days.
Tests
- 5am 16.5 FC (down 1.5ppm overnight so technically a fail on the OCLT) Added 1 gal of 10% liquid chlorine so should have gotten me to around 19-20ppm FC
- 12pm 14.5 FC (Since I knew I only had like a test or two of DPD reagent left I dosed very high) Added about 1.5 gal of 10% liquid chlorine
- 9pm 22 FC (well looked like I definitely went crazy at the noon dose but it was for sure up there all afternoon)

I added some DE yesterday evening as well (about a 1/2 cup or so), Probably too much as the pump pressure went up about 5psi. I wasn't sure if it would equalize so I just left it there overnight and it was the same today.

Today, Backflushed out the DE from yesterday and (then messed around with it until)* I added enough to get to about 1psi over.
*(That DE is tricky! I added like a 1/4 cup and it went up like 3/4 a psi after a few min, then added about 1/8 cup more and it shot up 4psi! Backflushed and tried again to get it about 1psi over standard psi)

I think I'll prob do another backflush/DE treatment before the end of the day as the psi is creeping up. (Hopefully catching a bunch of stuff?).

At this point I guess I have to abort the SLAM that I have been working on for over 4 days! I was really hoping that I would see some improvements by now but when I was looking today, I swear it's exactly the same cloudy blue mess that I've had for last 3-4 weeks! Since I don't have the reagent for accurate tests it seems like I'd be throwing more $$ away on chlorine If I continue with the SLAM.

Sooo much chlorine! Soo much time! I'm getting toward my wits' end!

I imagine I should restart the SLAM when my reagent arrives but I doubt I'm going to have the time to babysit the pool for several days this week dosing/testing it like crazy again. The thought of buying 10+ more gallons of chlorine with no results makes me sick and I feel like one of those pool store junkies just dumping and praying (guess the big difference is I'm adding testing to the equation).

UGH! thought I was close but now I'm back to just still cloudy and frustrated. sigh

Anyway, thanks for reading my rant. I feel like anyone else I talk to just says did you buy some shock? you need to shock, I bought some or my friend bought some shock. Bleh

If anyone has any other pointers please let me know as I'm all ears!

Thanks! :)

I just wanted to send another update and thanks on my cloudy frustrations from this spring.

After my last post I started blind vacuuming as it was about all I could do until my new reagents arrived. Vacuumed to waste through my skimmer basket and found a bunch of paint chips from when we had the deck power washed and repainted. Also found some leaves and little bit of other junk.

(I always rake out anything I can with my net in the spring and I had blind vacuumed (once maybe twice) around opening but was waiting for the water to clear further to know if/where I should concentrate my efforts.)

Since I was sucking up gunk that Thursday I did another blind vacuum Friday before leaving for a weekend trip.
(Left the Chlorine dropping to normal levels since I couldn't test or continue properly/accurately SLAMing)

Low and behold! When I got home late Sunday after being out of town for the weekend I could just start to see the bottom of the pool!
I think I vacuumed every day that week and the pool kept getting cleaner! I restarted a SLAM when I got my reagent just for good measure (mid-week) and by the weekend it was almost perfect!

My pool has been crystal clear all month and I've been TFP'ing since that weekend it all turned around!

Overall, I think my lesson learned is proper physical cleaning of any unseen gunk! I think waiting for the water to clear up a bit before SERIOUSLY vacuuming was my major mistake.
Next year I'll be ready! Rake out anything I can as usual but vacuum vacuum vacuum as soon as that CYA is dissolved!
Add this to my newly learned DE adding and sand filter deep cleaning tricks and I think I'll be clean in half the time. :)

Just wanted to say thanks again to anyone who read my rants and offered advice while my patience ran thin.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.