Pool patio expansion ideas needed

pagreenpool

May 22, 2017
Allentown, PA
I am looking to expand the area around our pool. It has concrete currently but as you can see in the pictures, on one side there is no much room to walk around the pool. I am looking to add some additional space. I am thinking pavers but wanted to get some thoughts from others.

In addition to the expanded patio space, I am looking to create a structure... but I don't know really know what exactly I want and am hoping to get some ideas (or better yet links to some pictures!). The structure is primarily for two things... shade and storage. I don't need much storage but a little would be nice (a large closest to hold swim gear, pool cleaner, etc.).

If I had to separate the shade and the storage, I could. We use umbrellas now but am trying to do something more permanent.

Thanks for ideas, see pictures of the area.

I’m in a similar boat as you as well. I’ve had to delay my pool renovation plans due to other expenditures at this point in time. Had hoped to already have started but alas life gets in the way. I only had the required 3’ of pouted cement padding around the entire left side and one end of our Anthony gunnite inground pool at present. We are planning a major hardscaping project in addition to the pool renovation itself. I’m going to expand the hardscaped walking areas out to 6+’ when we do so.

We are also adding a garage building off to one end of the pool area that will have an open lean-to porch that faces the pool area for shade. The garage unit will also become our storage area.

The lean-to will eventually accommodate our outdoor kitchen area and will integrate the hardscaping and the garage unit into the overall design. I’ve got a mock up on graph paper right now:

ad278104d3a1bb187d333ea610ad50ff.jpg

We are starting in August, so I don't have any pics. We bought a pavillion from Sam's Club and will be having the concrete guy pour a slab for it right next to the pool when we have the pool and surrounding concrete done. It will be arranged specifically to fit nicely in the design of the pool area. We chose the 18x35x29 lagoon shape. It wouldn't solve your storage issue, but is a nice idea for shade. We have a small storage closet off the back of our porch, so that's not an issue for us.
0007874226109_A.jpg

Thanks for the reply! The garage building with the lean to porch... are you thinking pre-fab for this or custom construction?

I’ve got bids/quotes for all options at this point, from custom stick built garage units, prefab units, DIY stick built kits (like from 84 Lumber), and all pole building options including custom built pole structure to pre-fab to DIY kits. I’m leaning toward DIY to save money especially since I don’t “need” the garage unit right away. That said, if I don’t go with an all in approach, I will have to GC the individual jobs myself - including electrical runs, cement and excavation work, pavement extension, etc.

I’ve got bids for the electric work as of last week, and am now locating bidders for the excavation and cement work to see how much of a price difference there is if I do the GC work myself as opposed to going with an “all in” quote that includes all of the GC work and the excavation and cement work, but not electric. If I only end up saving like 5k as compared to having one bidder do everything, I will probably just go that route as doing so will make my life a lot easier. If I can save 15-20k by GC’ing the jobs and going DIY - that’s enough of a savings to consider taking on a major DIY project myself.

The garage project pricing ranges from about 15k - 40k from DIY kit to full custom install, not including electric and driveway extension. If I go the DIY route, it’s looking like 2.5k for a 100 amp electric run, about 5k for excavation/cement work, and about 3-4K to extend our paved driveway up to the new garage unit. So 15+2.5+5+4 = 27.5k

I am also trying to divide up this project into phases over a 3 year period as the overall cost is over 100k all in at this point - closer to 120k actually. 40k for the garage project, 40k for the pool renovation and improvements, and at least 40k for the hardscaping - possibly as high as 60k if I do everything I want including the spa area and the outdoor kitchen.

We have like a 12 x 22 pavilion and use a big deck box and half height plastic shed for some storage. Not as unattractive as it sounds on the storage.

There are pics in our build thread in my signature.

I think you should separate the shade and storage functions. You don't really want to sip cocktails in your storage shed. Costco has a great looking, and well reviewed, "gazebo" shade structure similar to the pavilion Jenlove9 shared. The Costco version has a hip roof, and I think is a bargain at $1299 in my local store, or $1699 online with free delivery if you don't have a Costco handy: https://www.costco.com/12'-x-14'-Cedar-Gazebo-With-Aluminum-Roof.product.100351084.html. Whether you prefer this or the more open structure Jenlove9 showed depends on taste, and your house style. I am going with the hip roof to match the roof architecture of my house.

I love looking at Houzz for pictures. I did a little "pool cabana" search:

This is very grand, but they have a beautiful shaded area with a separate little storage shed:
Outdoor Fire Pit & Pool Cabana - Atlanta

I'm not in love with this, but has the combo shade/storage
European Flair - Traditional - Pool - Baltimore - by Owings Brothers Contracting

This is really sweet. I'm guessing you could do storage on the back side of the fireplace wall
Entertaining at the Pool - Traditional - Pool - San Francisco - by Terra Ferma Landscapes

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.