Ideal chlorine level:Where did the CYA / FC table come from? Looking for verification

amy6152

Apr 4, 2017
Rochester, NY
Our pool was new at the end of last summer. I like what I hear on TFP and think I want to follow the protocol given here, but frankly I'm scared.

Everything else I read tells me the chlorine level should be low (1-3ppm) and doesn't mention CYA at all. The one site I found that did mention it said to increase your levels to 2-4ppm to compensate for CYA's effects. All the sites warn about the hazards of high chlorine, and potential danger to swimmers at levels over 6, 10, whatever. They each seem to have a different number but they're all very cautionary.

Where did the CYA / FC chart on TFP come from? Is there a source I can see, or a scientific study or research article or something that says it's correct? I feel like I'm just taking TFP's word for it (and a lot of people who've had success, I know that). But the people I love most spend a lot of time in that water and I'm naturally cautious.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thank you!

It started with the O'Brian paper in the 60's

There is a mathematical formula for figuring actual clorine level with cya in the pool, and our [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] chart every one is less harsh that the 1-3 ppm without cya

Don't listen to the people stuck in the 60's

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.