Buying a used AGP

Kias

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 31, 2009
NW Ohio
I'll be updating this thread over the next 10 months to document my crazy idea of buying a used pool. I purchased today, for a mere one hundred dollars, a 3.5 ft deep 15'x30' oval Lomart Cedar Hill above ground pool. I would really like a July 4th, 2010 opening. So that's the goal I'm setting right now.

I know I'm not the first to do this, nor will I be the last, but I thought I'd document everything with lots of pictures so people in the future might get some semblence of what's involved. Then they might be better able to decide if they want to go this route. I'm not even sure I want to go this route! Somehow I think that buying a new one would be much much easier. However, it's too late for me. A hundred bucks is a hundred bucks! Oh, and with that hundred bucks, I also have to dissasemble the pool and the deck and move it to my house...

So with all that said, here's the first picture of the pool sitting in someone elses yard.

pool1.jpg

...and if you're interested, the thread about the inspection of the pool is over here: lomart-pool-bargain-t16822.html

Ok, Day 1 is over. I worked about 2 hours onsite, another 1/2 hour at home.

Of course I forgot to take the camera with me, but that's ok. All I did was take down the fencing around the edge of the pool. We don't plan on putting it back up, so it went pretty quick with a sawzall. I threw it all in the back of the truck and brought it home for some bonfire fuel.

I also grabbed some stuff until my truck was packed to the top! I have the deck ladder, hose, brush/vacuum head, long extendo pole, skimmer head, and 2 gallons of 12% chlorine (Labeled as "SHOCK" on the box). So the way I figure it I've already recouped my $100 in parts. But lost it in labor... HA! (Yes, I'm expensive!)

pool11.jpg

X-PertPool said:
You'll need a new liner at the very least, good luck on rusty screws if you run into them.

Lots of rusty screws! Over the last couple years I've replaced a car engine, rebuilt a transmission, changed a subframe, and changed two front wheel bearings. (My children really need to hurry up and graduate college so they can get a real job!) So it seems that me and rusty screws have become best friends! ugh...

Thanks! I've ordered a complete set of new nuts, bolts, and screws on order, all in ss 18-8. Just took the parts list for the pool and started ordering. 'bout $50 worth. ...and another $50 worth that I already had in my shop. Luv the boltdepot.com!

Just don't see the point of re-using 11 year old hardware like that. It's too cheap not to replace!

I've also found that leisure time pool and spa can get the actual pool parts I'll need. So far, I'll need one top rail, and one vertical. I have a funny feeling I'm going to be spending a lot of time in my shop this winter refurbing parts! :-D

I'm also looking at linerworld.com for a new liner. My "Local" pool store (Leslie's) is about 50 miles away in Toledo. I'm kind of out in the sticks. My neighbor is a 70 acre corn field. Which is ok with me, they don't make much noise.

So moving forward with my pool build, I looked up the code regulating swimming pools in my area. Here it is.

No private swimming pool, exclusive of portable swimming pools with a diameter less than twelve (12) feet or with an area of less than one hundred (100) square feet shall be allowed in the Agricultural-Rural Estate District or any Residential District, except as an accessory use and unless it complies with the following conditions and requirements:
  • The pool is intended and is to be used solely for the enjoyment of the occupants of the principal use of the property on which it is located.[/*:m:38ct4l6d]
  • It may not be closer than twelve (12) feet to any side lot line, fifteen (15) feet to any rear lot line, nor ten (10) feet to any main building. No such use shall be permitted to be constructed in any required front yard.[/*:m:38ct4l6d]
  • The swimming pool shall be walled or fenced to prevent uncontrolled access from the street or adjacent properties. Said wall or fence shall not be less than six (6) feet in height and maintained in good condition with a gate and lock.[/*:m:38ct4l6d]

That appears to be about 20 pages shorter than the pool code I looked at for Las Vegas last week!

Nothin' but fun here!! :clown:
I know I'll be eating those words later...

DAY 2: ...about half an hour or so.

LADDER CLEANING!

After FrustratedPoolMom assured me it wasn't algae on the ladder, I proceeded to scrub it down. I started with a dilute solution of bleach. It didn't even so much as begin to clean it. Tried a greeny weeny (Scotch Brite pad, Scrubby Wubby, Green thing, or Scrubbing Pad... depending on which part of the country you're in.) That didn't do anything either. So I rinsed it down well, inspected the stain up close and personal, reached out and scraped it with my fingernail. The big ugly stain didn't budge. I moved in even closer and sniffed it. Nothing. Then I licked it to see what it tasted like. Nothing. It was just then that I knew exactly what to do. It was time to give it the works.

"The Works! Toilet Bowl Cleaner" Worked like a charm! I just wiped it on gently with a sponge, and watched all the stains disappear before my eyes like magic.

Before and After
pool12.jpg

Tomorrow is a big day! The pool is being drained tonight and tomorrow I'm going to get the wall out. This is when I get to see what kind of condition the pool really is in. Gasp!

:shock:

Ok, I didn't really lick the ladder. I didn't even sniff it. Just added that for dramatic effect! :mrgreen:

Oooo you fool! I thought you really licked it! :mrgreen:

Good luck with the pool. You'll surely see damage tomorrow if there is any.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not sure how old it is. Haven't got to talk to "The Husband" yet. Though he'll be there today when I show up. I know it'll be at least 9 months old by time I use it. Probably won't be worth much by then. Then again, it's not like that stuff is too expensive either.

Day 3: 4 hours of solid work. (I'm getting OLD! ...and feel like it too!)

As I last left the pool. (That's my son on the deck.)
pool13.jpg

Since the previous owner was nice enough to help us, I didn't feel I should be stopping all the time to take pictures. So, this is where we stopped for the day. (That's my wife on the deck.)
pool14.jpg

One last look before leaving.
pool15.jpg

Back at home, time to inspect the parts a little closer.
The top rails. Two of these will be getting replaced.
pool16.jpg

The verticals and caps and stuff.
pool17.jpg

Skimmer and Return.
pool18.jpg

Hoses.
pool19.5.jpg

Rusty pump motor.
pool19.jpg

The muddy wall out of the truck.
pool20.jpg

The wall out for cleaning.
pool21.jpg

Return hole on wall.
pool22.jpg

Skimmer hole on wall.
pool23.jpg

I'll be commenting on this later. (Can you tell I'm tired?)
pool24.jpg

This one too... (Real tired...)
pool25.jpg

4 verticals that will be getting replaced with new ones.
pool26.jpg

Stock Market Tip: BUY HENKEL!!! (The makers of naval jelly)

Ok, I have an entire diatribe to write, along with a few questions, but... I'm tired, I'm muddy, and I just want to go to sleep. However, I'll be back over there tomorrow, after work, to dig the sand out of the filter, and finish taking down what's left.

...and for those of you who like to see crazy stuff. We're going to move that entire deck 10 miles in one piece. It's a 15' X 12' deck. That ought to be interesting...

I've been following your thread with interest to see how you make out. I too got a used pool (3 years old) for what I thought was a great deal. 33 foot round Paragon pool with sandfilter, 1.5hp pump, inline chlorinator, H200 gas Heater, winter cover, solar cover, vaccuum, all stainless steel nuts, bolts and fittings. etc etc for $600.00..Heck the heater alone is worth more than that. I thought I was saving some serious cash...but......

1. Pool = $600
2. Uhaul trailer to go get it = $45
3. Yard excavation and screenings brought in = $920.00
4. New pool liner = $450
5. 3 yards of mason sand for coping = $104
6. still have to have gasline run from house to heater
7. 4 tankers of water to fill = $150 each ($600) we have a well, so I don't want to fill with garden hose.

SO you can see MY good deal is quickly adding up!! :mrgreen:

Dan

Kias said:
...and for those of you who like to see crazy stuff. We're going to move that entire deck 10 miles in one piece. It's a 15' X 12' deck. That ought to be interesting...

:shock: :shock: Could you put that on youtube for us? :lol: :lol: ::epds::

okay, I know, we're spoiled :mrgreen:

Keep up the good work :goodjob:

Yeah I figured, from the beginning, that $1500 to $2000 would get everything I needed to get that pool back up in our yard. I figure 5 or 6 grand for that pool and deck brand new. Probably more.

We dropped almost 5 grand last year for our vacation, a houseboat on the Mississippi River for our family of 6. ...and it was over in a week. I figure if I have to put 3 or 4 grand into this pool, I'm still makin' out like a bandit!

Kias said:
Thanks! I've ordered a complete set of new nuts, bolts, and screws on order, all in ss 18-8. Just took the parts list for the pool and started ordering. 'bout $50 worth. ...and another $50 worth that I already had in my shop. Luv the boltdepot.com!

Just don't see the point of re-using 11 year old hardware like that. It's too cheap not to replace!

I've also found that leisure time pool and spa can get the actual pool parts I'll need. So far, I'll need one top rail, and one vertical. I have a funny feeling I'm going to be spending a lot of time in my shop this winter refurbing parts! :-D

I'm also looking at linerworld.com for a new liner. My "Local" pool store (Leslie's) is about 50 miles away in Toledo. I'm kind of out in the sticks. My neighbor is a 70 acre corn field. Which is ok with me, they don't make much noise.

I was checking out the linerworld.com site, I don't like how they have their measurements in gauge, there is no specific thickness for gauge, unlike mil. It's basically a made-up term when it comes to liners. It's like saying your liner is 36 electronic kitten whiskers thick.

Butterfly said:
:shock: :shock: Could you put that on youtube for us? :lol: :lol: ::epds::

okay, I know, we're spoiled :mrgreen:

Keep up the good work :goodjob:

Trust me, I'm gonna try! :goodjob:

The prev owner did it 10 years ago. He purchased and moved the deck in one piece. He says he has a pontoon boat trailer that when you take off the middle rail, it more or less becomes a flat trailer. Should be interesting!

X-PertPool said:
It's like saying your liner is 36 electronic kitten whiskers thick.

I would probably be more apt to go for the 42 electronic kitten whiskers thick liner myself. :mrgreen:

Their faqs, or maybe it was in pool information, that 20 gauge was 20 mil, and 25 gauge was 25 mil.

That's all I know. Maybe someone here has purchased from them and can chime in here.

---Edit---
On second thought, and some more research, I think I'm going to pass on linerworld and seek other places. :cool:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.