Buying a used AGP

Been thinkin' about the ground prep.

I want to kill off the weeds, and there's some hardy weeds in that field, then remove the topsoil, and sterilize the ground.

So I was thinking of doing a nonanoic acid / glyphosate cocktail for a nice quick almost painless death. In brand names, this would be Scythe and Roundup.

Then after the topsoil was removed, I was thinking of using bromocil for a sterilizer. (Like Zep)

Any thoughts on this?

Rob, they put some stuff down to kill the (oh rats, I forgot the name of that pesty weed), nutgrass, I think. But I read the other day that you should put some stuff down to help prevent ant infestations as well. They did not do this with ours, but probably should have. We have a horrendous ant problem now. So keep those two things in mind. I think you put them down under the sand, before the gorilla pad.

I read that somewhere also, although I can't find it now to save my life. If I remember correctly, as you stated, the pesticide was applied to the sand before the liner or padding. Wish I could find it to see which pesticide they used.

----------------------------------

Ok, I did find over at poolrepair.com that I should put down a non-petroleum based pesticide and herbicide. The herbicide I've got figured out, just need to figure out the bug killer now.

----------------------------------

Ah ha! Found it! It was here all along!
my-first-ag-pool-build-t15677.html

We're currently in the middle of a heat wave here. 32 right now. Most of the 5 inches of snow on the ground is gone thanks to the few days we had hanging around 36 degrees. After three months of waiting for parts, I got my tractor up and going again, and plowed the slush from the driveway...

Havin' fun in the winter!! :goodjob:

Cherie said:
Hey, we got two snowdays in Texas within five days of each other....IN DECEMBER! We sorta had a white Christmas! It's 53 here today, but we're burning our fireplace anyway!

I remember when I live in San Diego, and when it got down to 53 degrees (During the five days of winter season they have) I would be freezing to death!

'course now if it got to 53, I'd be in my shorts and t-shirt wantin' to jump in a pool!

...and for anyone keepin' track of my pool build, it's now February in Northwest Ohio.

The pool parts I ordered about a half a year ago, are still not here. Probably need to call them, they probably forgot about me. (I's not too worried... they haven't charged anything to my card)

Well, figured I'd bring this thread out of the graveyard, dust it off a bit, and keep going. I'm startin' a little later in the year than I wanted to. Uncle Sam hit us with a high four figure tax bill this year. Can you say ouch? So some readjusting for next year, a little bit a time to recover, and I think we'll be ok.

So with that behind me, I just ordered a liner, wide mouth skimmer, floor pad, pool cove, and new coping. Also ordered the new multi-port valve I need for the filter, and a Pentair Dynamo 3/4 hp dual speed pump. :mrgreen:

I'll be stopping at whichever home improvement store to pick up some wiring and what nots soon too.

I have graduations and graduations party for two of my kids this weekend, so nothing new will be going on probably until next weekend.

...and just ordered Banish weed killer, ground sterilizer stuff. :)

...and just got an email that my liner will be on backorder until [s:3knpq0hk]this sunday[/s:3knpq0hk] next Wednesday. [s:3knpq0hk]Yup, two days. GASP![/s:3knpq0hk] (Sorry, looked at the wrong month on the calendar!)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Second'ed. Really enjoyed reading your adventures with your great DIY project! Makes me feel a bit silly with all the money I'm spending for a new pool.

Don't forget to put your weed and ant killer (both in granular forms) before you set your pool up. When I bought my AG pool and had it installed in 2007, my 15 year liner warranty forced me to do this. I had to purchase both products and have them on hand when the installers arrived. The installers had to apply both products themselves and sign a paper for me to mail in certifying that they had used them. Also, it's a good idea to reapply at least once each year.

My father in law lost a vinyl liner a few years ago when grass grew through it. Better safe than sorry.

Cherie said:
Yea, you're back!!! ...SHOWTIME! ::epds::

Well, never really went anywhere. Was checking in now and then over the winter. I had another project that was more pressing then the pool was while there was snow on the ground.

pool56.jpg

Uh huh... Concrete countertops!

pool57.jpg

This is right after I put on the top coat. All the cabinets are now back on the wall, and I'm wrapping up all the odds and ends tonight. I'll probably have a completed picture on Sunday since my daughter's and son's graduation party is at 3:00pm. :party:

mud said:
Second'ed. Really enjoyed reading your adventures with your great DIY project! Makes me feel a bit silly with all the money I'm spending for a new pool.

Thanks! ...and if I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't! (Sounds like I'm already done! The battle has yet to begin!) Seem's we're losing kids left and right around here, so the bank is starting to like us more and more! Next house: I'm doing nothing to it, everything will be there, or we don't get it. The wife has been warned. :mrgreen:

I'm just gettin' too old! Those countertops almost killed me! But, they only cost about $400 total. Next time, I'd gladly spend $20,000 to let someone else put 'em in!

Great thread Kias, l hope it never ends :cool:
That is a good job you have done with the countertops. Is it epoxy on the surface? If it is, are you more than welcome to shoot a close up. I have thought of applying epoxy on a few surfaces myself but never really seen what it looks like on black concrete.

I'm just gettin' too old! Those countertops almost killed me! But, they only cost about $400 total. Next time, I'd gladly spend $20,000 to let someone else put 'em in!
You'll get over it, trust me :goodjob: :cheers: :wave:

I'll get you closeup pictures in the next couple of days. We had an interesting weekend around here with all the tornados (es? Hmmmm...)

Just down the street from me, another pool has been claimed by mother nature. Everyone survived this particular tornado, although 8 or 9 homes are completely gone, one of the metro parks is closed for cleanup, the place where I work just missed it.

58.jpg

However even further down the street, and across a few towns, 7 people have died. There were 5 confirmed touchdowns in the Toledo area this weekend.

59.jpg

60.jpg

My wife was freaking out! She was at home with our little one, I was at Walmart stuck near the fitting rooms in the middle of the store. My two elder children were running around going to different graduation parties. Fun fun this weekend...

Good news that you are all ok and you are getting your test kit - now you will be ready to hit the ground running

I keep staring at your pictures and can't belive it's true , there's nothing left!!
No wonder that you wife were freaking out if she was anywhere near that thing. Are there any warning systems for tornados where you live?
I'm glad that you and your family made it through but what a nightmare for those poor people who lives/lived along that street.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.