Buying a used AGP

Wow this is all so interesting!! My opinion - if was going to cut new holes for return and skimmer, I would definitely cut in a second skimmer on mine. The difference good flow at or near the ends on an oval makes on keeping a pool clean is huge. Also, if I was setting mine up again (will be when I move it) I would put the wall foam or some type of wall foam on - it acts, even the smallest amount, as an insulator from that steel wall and will help to keep the heat in, cold out - a good thing to have if living in the north. Another thing I will do when I move mine is go deep end with an expandable liner. I adore my pool and only wish it was deeper...and had another return and insulated walls....other than that, love my pool.

Keep the info coming, this is a great thread.

NWMNMom said:
My opinion - if was going to cut new holes for return and skimmer, I would definitely cut in a second skimmer on mine.

Now, that's kind of funny. I just went out to clean the skimmer up, and noticed cracks around three of the plastic screw studs. Not good in my opinion. So I was coming in to ask if a wider skimmer is really better? So, I'll drag an old picture out from page 1 of this thread (Shrunken a bit) and also ask this. Where would you put two skimmers, and a return? Would a 15x30 actually need two skimmers? I know when I cut the fence off around the pool, all that sawdust that went in the water everywhere was gone in about 30 minutes.

pool27.jpg

Ha! I also just noticed, that's not my pool, I have 5 buttresses... Close enough though.

Cherie said:
Our Pentair Dynamo 2-speed cut our electric bill from $90/mo (running pump 10 hr/day) to $30/mo (running pump 24/7).

Wow! I think you just made up my mind. :goodjob:

We do get a discount on electricity, as our house is ALL electric. Still our electric bill is already insane, now I'm adding a pool?? HAHA!

We last left off at $104.38 spent on the pool. I just ordered $311.17 worth of parts bringing the grand total so far up to $415.55.

Now I have to give props to Bob at Leisure Time Pools. I sent him email asking if he could get some parts that were not on his list of parts, and he added them to the list, today, Sunday, on a holiday weekend. I sent him email late last Sunday night, and he answered it at 23 minutes after midnight! That's service!

Here's what I bought.

4 Verticals @ $14.00 each
9 Small stabilizer Rails @ $6.50 each
9 Large stabilizer Rails @ $6.50 each
2 Top Connectors @ $11.20 each
1 Short Top Rail @ $27.00
2 Buttress Top Rails @ $21.40 each
Shipping was $45.97

By comparison, the local pool joint would have been a total of $92.53 more. I may have to move so Bob can be my local pool joint!

In my book, Bob get's two thumbs up! :goodjob: :goodjob:

So... let's see, what did I do today... Not much. I started moving parts into the barn, as it's suppose to rain here soon. Wouldn't want to let a pool get wet. :shock:

I moved the bricks off the lawn before I had dead rectangle spots. That's pretty much it poolwise. I'm on my pre-vacation vacation today!

Kias said:
Cherie said:
Our Pentair Dynamo 2-speed cut our electric bill from $90/mo (running pump 10 hr/day) to $30/mo (running pump 24/7).

Wow! I think you just made up my mind. :goodjob:

We do get a discount on electricity, as our house is ALL electric. Still our electric bill is already insane, now I'm adding a pool?? HAHA!

Oops! I'd better clarify that. When we put our new pool in, with a single-speed Dynamo (running it 10 hr/day), our electric bill increased by $90/mo. After we switched it out with a 2-speed Dynamo (running it 24/7), our increase was only $30/mo. So we are saving $60/mo in electric charges by keeping our pump on low 24/7.

Sorry about the confusion...

Movin' right along...

Today was top rail rust conversion day!

Since these are an item that can actually be seen, a little more finesse is needed in refurbishing them. So I started with various wire wheels and sandpaper flapper wheels and probably took more rust off then needed, but it came out perfect!
pool49.jpg

When I did the rust conversion on the top caps and bottom connectors, I did so with a brush. This left brush marks, as it didn't smooth out like most paint will. So I sprayed the top rails with the rust convertor for a much smoother finish.
pool48.jpg

All that's left for the rust conversion is the buttresses and the verticals, then we'll be ready for the paint department! I've decided I'm going to deal with the wall next spring, as it looks so cozy all wrapped up in a coil. :mrgreen:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
:hammer:
Ok, don't kill me, but I forgot to take my camera with me to work today to take a video of the deck move. However, the good news is, the deck is moved!!! I now have all the parts!!

:party: :whoot: :cheers:

I did grab a picture goin' down the road with my phone though. We actually passed two police cruisers. They didn't even blink.
pool53.jpg

Here it is in it's final resting place for the winter
pool50.jpg

The other side
pool51.jpg

...and here's that bottle I mentioned in another thread somewhere. It was under the bench seats, and appears to be the source of the blue stain that was on everything that was touching the water.
pool52.jpg

I think I'm gonna send them a 50 dollar gift card to Outback Steakhouse or something. They helped me WAY more then they had to.

So we got it back to my house, and we started jacking it up and placing blocks under it so we could pull the trailer out from underneath it, and it just started pouring rain like crazy!! So we just kept working. Of course when we got the trailer out, it stopped. Then we were in the process of lowering it ever so slowly, block by block, and it shifted and fell about 3 feet. We both jumped out of the way, and I had sent my little one back in the house earlier, for just this reason, when he wandered out to see what was going on. So no one got hurt. Except my jack. it's all bent up and I'll have to see if I can get a new side plate for it... or just buy a new one. There was no damage to the deck, so all is good. Don't ask me how I'm going to get it up next year, as that's a whole 1/2 year away. Might look into a crane to place it. I have no idea how much a crane would cost though...

So, that was today's fun!!

...and with this message there should be over 50 pictures in this thread, and not even half way done!

Wow. That was an impressive move.

How large is this deck? And what size trailer did you use?

I'm still wondering how you were able to get the deck up onto the trailer in the first place?

I'm actually suffering withdrawal when this thread isn't updated every couple of days!

Your "new deck" looks to be about 8 x 10. Impressive move. Your wife should count her lucky blessings to have a hubby willing to take this project on. I have to threaten "NO FOOTBALL" to get mine up doing things!! :mrgreen:

The deck is 12 x 15 and probably weighs a gazillion tons! The trailer was a pontoon trailer with the center rail removed. I had nothing to do with putting it on the trailer, it was a complete shock to me when I received email yesterday saying it was already on the trailer ready to go. When I asked him how he got it on there, he nonchalantly replied, "A come along."

Alrighty then! Musta been a sight to see, since it was on 4 posts that were cemented into the ground, and those 4 posts are still there!

When I saw it on the trailer, I was a little concerned that it wasn't going to fit across my bridge in the driveway, but it went with about 2 feet to spare. The bridge must be wider than I think it is.

Oh, and my wife introduces me to people as 1 of 3 guys in America that doesn't watch sports. :goodjob:

I do believe that's one of the cop cars we passed in the picture. Not a big deal out here, most big things going down the road are about 6-8 feet wider than that. Don't ever leave your house late out here during harvest season, cause you'll be even more late!

I've been following this thread since the beginning. It's very interesting, to say the least. I'm very glad you're archiving it. It'll help somebody immensely in the future.

As for the deck placement. And since you live in Ohio. Find one of your farming friends with a big ole tractor with a set of those round bale forks on it and that'll easily lift your deck. I've lifted some heavy things with mine and I have a lil ole tractor. :-D

Oh, and my wife introduces me to people as 1 of 3 guys in America that doesn't watch sports.
Welcome to the club! Now I'm wondering who the third guy is??? :cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.