Does a higher CYA in summer have advantages?

Ronald U.

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Greetings. I seem to understand that raising my CYA for summer full sun will be an advantage. I am currently CYA 40 and lose 3 - 3.5 FC daily. If I move CYA to 50 or 60, will my daily expense of chlorine go down? Thank you.

pH 7.7
FC 6.0
CC 0.5
TA 120
CH 250
Borate 40
CYA </= 40
Water Temp 82F

Last edited:
That was a seriously deep thread. I was submerged for a long time and just came up for air. There was a graph that I think you were referring to showing chlorine loss/hr at varying CYA and chlorine ion levels. I still don't clearly see the advantage of a higher summer CYA.

Think of it this way. The cya will protect a percentage of your chlorine from the Sun every day. The higher the cya level the higher percentage that is protected. So even though you're absolute FC PPM numbers are higher you should be losing less to the sun each day.

That was a seriously deep thread. I was submerged for a long time and just came up for air. There was a graph that I think you were referring to showing chlorine loss/hr at varying CYA and chlorine ion levels. I still don't clearly see the advantage of a higher summer CYA.
You mean this?
HalfLife.gif
The vertical scale is half-life. You gain an extra hour or two at the higher CYA, which could add up to substantial savings over the course of the sumnmer. But you can also see how the slope flattens out, so raising CYA above 70 gains you very little.

Based on the chart I don't see the savings actually.

Take a CYA of 30 where you need 5 FC (middle of 4-6). Then compare a CYA of say 50 where you need 7 FC (middle of 6-8).

The CYA=30 case the half life is 5 hours, for the CYA=50 it raises to 7 hours. That's a 40% improvement which sounds great EXCEPT you also need 40% more chlorine!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've upped my CYA to 50 this year. I was at 30 last year. I've already noticed I'm using less chlorine. I wa afraid to go to high because of all the CYA horror stories on here but I think I've now found the "sweet spot".

My pool gets full sun from sun up to sun down.

This statement confuses me a little (albeit I am a noob). I thought pucks raised the cya hence why I should always be using liquid chlorine?
I think he's saying that at 50, if you need to use pucks temporarily (e.g., out of town for a week or two), there's still a little room for CYA to be increased without it being dangerously/ineffectively high.

I think he's saying that at 50, if you need to use pucks temporarily (e.g., out of town for a week or two), there's still a little room for CYA to be increased without it being dangerously/ineffectively high.
Precisely.

And there's no crime in using trichlor to chlorinate if you need the extra CYA and acidity.
That's the essence of TFP: only add what you need and know what you're adding.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.