What would you do?

May 19, 2018
Medina, OH
My pool gets up to 76, 77 degrees in the day and then plumets at night.

We're going to be using it a lot during the day now so I was wondering if putting the solar cover on only at night would help to reduce heat loss at all.

Last time I put the solar cover on we developed green algea (it was on for several days continuously with no use). Was this just a coincidence or do the covers impede circulation? What's the easiest way to sanitize the cover so I don't recontaminate the pool?

Thank you!

Using the cover, especially at night, will greatly Aid in retaining the water's temperature.

If you are maintaining the proper FC level as a function of your cya a level, according to the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA], you should not get algae whether you have a cover on or not.

The cover isn't causing the algae. I can leave my cover on for weeks and still have crystal clear water.

As Jason said your algae problem is caused by insufficient chlorine levels for the amount of CYA in your pool.

Your pool also needs to breathe when using a solar cover. It will build up CCs and the sun will help burn those off during the day.

Your pool also needs to breathe when using a solar cover. It will build up CCs and the sun will help burn those off during the day.

This makes sense. How does the pool breathe with the cover on? Must it be removed periodically.

- - - Updated - - -

I do not have algea any more. That has been resolved (details in other threads). Thanks for your concern to those who asked..

I put a solar cover on at night and the pool will drop a couple of degrees overnight. On the couple of times I've forgotten or decided to be lazy, I was slapped in the morning with a 10 degree drop more than once. The cover definitely helps by reducing evaporation and heat loss especially if its windy or dry air.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.